The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MurrayTart

Number of posts : 1370
Location : Murray River NSW in Oz, hey, 101 ways to cook Squash!
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:11 pm

G'day Thumbup

Low GI - low glycemic index, really just means food in their more original state - unprocessed grains, seeds & legumes etc.

Diet includes wholemeat[wheat] grain breads, sourdough breads & fruit & nut breads. Diet high in vegies & low on anything made with white flour but there are exceptions of course.

Low fat milk, yoghurt & other dairy. Low fat meat & fish.

It really is sensilbe eating, low in fat & sugars.
Brekkie - All bran type cereal, porridge [oatmeal], untoasted museli/granola, wholegrain toast & baked beans etc. A couple boiled or poached eggs & toast. Little scapres of jam are fine or if you prefer vegemite!

Lunch - sandwich made with tuna in brine or spring water, baked beans on toast, salad with light dressing, crustless quiche made with milk instead of oil & lowfat cheese. Lean meat & salad etc.

Dinner spag bol made with heart smart mince, grilled chicken or fish fillet or kebabs, lean steak & veg, stir fry.
Lot's of steamed vegies to accompany.

Beans - dried legumes cooked added to salads, I like to make my own hummus & use the water I cook soaked beans in as my liquid with chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, pinch of cummin & chilli powder. I do a spag bol made with lentils instead of meat or a tin of 4 bean mix as a meatless meal.

Yoghurt dip made with low fat yoghurt, cuke, garlic & mint is also nice with vegie sticks.

Just remember it is more about the fat content than sugar most times & if high blood pressure limiting salt intake too!

Depends on ones lifestyle & eating habits, if sweets candy/lollies & soft drink are important a few sugarfree options might be handy.

I personally have made the decision to include real butter & in small quantities than use margarine because of the GM factor etc. but I use Rice Bran oil for the same reason & still make my popcorn with oil - can't stand the air popped stuff! Rice bran oil is one of those that is supposed to be cholesterol reducing but fortunately not my problem - yet!

Potatoes are not low GI & a lot of folk avoid these but they are lower GI when left with their skin on & eaten cold in a salad & instead of an oil laden mayo try a mix of lowfat mayo & low fat sourcream with a touch a seeded mustard etc.

Rice: Basmati is the lowest GI, the bad ones are short grain like risotto rice & brown long grain is OK, I mix it with some wild rice. Other grains like quinoa & burghul are good too!

Pasta is fine, cooked al dente & even better when cold in a salad - but hold the mayo!

More later - recipe for a bread or cake follows

Apricot Bran Bread [no egg no butter]

1 cup all bran style cereal**
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
1/cup sultanas [raisins]
1 1/4 cup milk + extra 1/2 c.
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups self raising flour

1 sm loaf or 20cm [8" square] cake Bake 350 [180] 1 hr. for loaf or 35 - 40 min. cake
Soak bran with dried fruit overnight in milk covered. Add sugar & flour with 1/2 cup extra milk & mix well. Bake & cool, freezes well. I like to make as a cake then I can cut it in small pieces & not be so tempted, just take out what I want for morning tea!
**Any bran cereal will do even generic & I use raw sugar for sugar. I often substitute dried currants, dried cranberries etc. for sultanas.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:40 pm

I think meal scheduling is important... healthy snack in the middle of the day. It is best to try for 6 small meals a day then the normal 3.....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:01 pm

What the heck is vegimite? I see it in my specialty store and I'm chicken to try it!!
Back to top Go down
MurrayTart

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 am

Well vegemite is savoury, a bi-product of the brewing industry I believe - help me out Gimpy Cat! Developed for the troups during WWI maybe??

A popular salty spread, looks like chocolate, but it has it's place, suppose to very high in vitamin B's. Common to have on toast or a cheese sandwich.

I was tricked first time to try it, but I am a confimed convert!

~mt~

Low GI snacks & meals, everyone seems to have a different way of meeting the challenge. Small meals more often or big main meal for lunch not dinner.

Fruit is a great between meal snack, for weaker moments some of those 9 grain biscuits [crackers]. Bananas, slightly under ripe, more resistant starch, makes them more low GI! I like the dark grainy pumpernickel slices that come in those little pkts. I try to have a tub of low fat ricotta in the fridge & have that on them with some slices of tomato, fresh basil is nice too.

A handful of raw nuts, walnuts, pecans or almonds - I like the ones in the shell, the more work to get them the fewer I have!

Everyones metabolism works differently, for some potatoes are a definite no go as is rice but there are alternatives. Sweet potatoes are a good alternative to spuds & make a nice mash & you can make some meals more low GI by including some ingre. that are top of the list for being low GI.

I reduced my carbohydrate intake by 75% over the last 6 months & have lost over 20kgs that is somewhere between 40-50lb. My sugar is greatly improved but I am very interested to see that those patients that have had lapband surgery or stomach stapling or whatever you want to call that op where they reduce the size of it has the instant effect of eliminating Type II diabetes in most patients.

JS
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6797
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Sorry ladies......I've tried Vegemite and Marmite....can't take either one of them. I'm thinking it's an acquired cultural type of taste....lol.....but I've not acquired it :affraid: Give me my spicy TexMex any day.....haha. That's a cultural thing too...yee haw.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:26 pm

Vegemite..eeeewww! geek Somebody would have to trick me into trying it too! LOL Just the description of it gives me shivers.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20329

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Oh MT thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much for all the info, I can do a shopping list now to make sure I have some of the snack kind of foods for when she gets here and we are out and about on driving trips. I only use basmati rice, no others. We use pasta and dont each much potato, will eat sweet potato - anyone know anything about it diabetes wise? Mum has high blood pressure so will eliminate salt in everything, actually I dont cook with salt anyway, never have done. I do add copious amounts of salt to my food as I eat it but I have low blood pressure and need it in my personal diet.

Vegemite, well MT Im glad you can eat it, mum wont be bringing it to our house - its banned. We both loathe it, it makes my tummy turn when its spread on toast and it warms up and the scent is strong, tigger Its a dark brown almost black paste, is used as a spread on toast, bread, crackers etc. Children love it. It is good for you, made from brewers yeast and is full of vitamin B and all the other good stuff brewers yeast has, appeared back in 1923 and is apparently one of the world's richest known sources of Vitamin B. Here some stats on it

"The original recipe of Vegemite as a concentrated yeast extract has remained virtually unchanged for 80 years. Yeast is known as a natural source of the vitamin B complex which includes thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, biotin, p-amino benzoic acid and several other compounds.

Yeast extract is four or five times more concentrated than yeast, making it one of the richest known sources of the vitamin B group. In addition to being rich in vitamin B, yeast extract also contains other essential nutrients all of which make Vegemite an excellent addition to the family diet.
A single serving of Vegemite (5g) on a slice of bread provides a large percentage of your daily vitamin B requirements"

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:09 pm

texasmusicmom - is there a TexMex spread for toast I don't know about, might be something to replace Nutella [choc/hazelnut spread].

My biggest disappointment when I went back was how unsophisticated Americans tastes in food were. Don't get defensive & take this as criticism, good food is good food, especially if the ingredients are great to begin with. But I guess because there are barely 20,000,000+ million in Oz in a continent about the same size of the US here in Oz we eat a much broader range of nationalities foods.

In a month it would not be unusal to have Italian, Indian, Morrocan, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Spanish, French etc., all home cooked & of course the traditional meal of meat & 3 veg.! Who doesn't love sashimi or sushi for lunch when in the big smoke, can't get good raw fish inland where I live!

That aside I digress, when it comes to Type II diabetes as one of my young dr.'s said when telling a story about her parents, if you are going to have a treat why not have a bit of real ice cream instead of that low fat diet stuff - it is dreadful!

GIMPY CAT - LOL, though I am content to have a piece of fruit with my cuppa my neighbour needs something sweet, so I have a few things in the freezer that can be nuked & eaten with or without butter! Muffins & scones, can be lowfat & still enjoyable as apposed to that ice cream confection. Mind you this neighbour has high cholesterol & is damned if she is going to change her eating habits & that is one thing I missed out from my family gene pool! So here is another treat for the freezer that is low GI so I don't feel left out or should I say my neighbour who cracked the you know what's when I didn't have any full cream milk, just skim! lmao

Wholemeal Date Muffins

125gm dates, pitted & chopped [1/4lb.]
1 tsp bi-carb [baking soda]
1 cup hot water
400gm tin sweetened cond. skim milk [just under a lb.]
1/4 cup vegie oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour [wholewheat]
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts [walnuts, pecans]

180c oven [350f] Palce dates, water & bi-carb in a bowl, set aside to cool about 10 min. Add sweetened cond. skim milk, oil & stir to combine. Stir in egg & add flours, cinnamon & nuts, mix to combine. Spoon into standard muffin pans about 2/3 full, makes 1 doz. & bake 20min. until cooked!
**I sprinkle a bit of museli on top before baking for an added touch!

~mt~
Back to top Go down
tlcquiltnut

Number of posts : 1078

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:00 am

Remember Lucille Ball, in the veggimite commercial she was doing she got real schnaukered
in that one.....lol....sorry about the pig tail but the vegimite just got me... bad girl lol! lmao
Back to top Go down
Cottonpicker

Number of posts : 206

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Murray Tart, I don't love sashimi or sushi. Of course I might if I ever tasted it but that's not going to happen. I have a thing about eating anything raw. I can work my stomach up into a state just thinking about it, or watching anyone else do it. I know a lot of people love it and 2 of my own sons committed treason against me when they grew up and started eating rare steak. LOL

When I was a teen living in Michigan I worked at a cafeteria that had some raw fish with sauce dish. It smelled to high heaven and very few people ate it, but the ones that did acted like it was ambrosia. They had a lot of German cuisine in Michigan. I can't remember the name of it and don't know if it was a German dish. Somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking Jewish, but I don't know.

I have lived in a lot of different areas of the U. S. and I must say that we eat all of the ethnic foods you mentioned except Morrocan and Spanish. ( I didn't know there was a Spanish cuisine, I guess I lumped it in with Mexican ) There may be Morrocan restaurants in Tulsa. I will have to check that out and try it. We had a famous Lebanese restaurant until a few years ago when the kids decided they didn't want to follow in the parent's footsteps and closed it down. Everybody mourned that loss. There are some other's in town but not as good. Tabouli is one of my favorite things and I make it at home, but you can get it just about anywhere around here. We have Japanese restaurants too but they kind of run together in my mind with Chinese, Vietnam, Thai, etc. except for the spectical. LOL

The thing I wish we had more of is English and Jewish. I am a great fan of english lit. James Herriott talked about food all through his books and I always wished we had restaurants here that specialized in this. He had a book that had a lot of the recipes he talked about, but you would never know if they tasted like they were supposed to. And Jewish food sound so interesting too.

Of course, we have the Outback restaurants, but they seem to be just same thing we eat here. I have heard it's not really Australian cuisine. That's probably right, judging by some of the things Gimpy has mentioned.

Anyway, after that long pig trail, tell me about Morrocan and Spanish cuisine. I love trying new things. Except new raw things, or things like octopus, eel, etc. LOL

Do any of you watch The Iron Chef on HGTV? Love that Morimoto and some of the others. Ha.
Back to top Go down
MurrayTart

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Cottonpicker, I wouldn't be too concerned about the raw fish, unless you eat in a traditional restaurant most sushi is made with smoked salmon or is vego or has some cooked marinated chicken in it. [sushi made in takeaway/takeout places].
Moroccan, mainly be their tagines or their versions of a casserrole or stew that contains some sort to dried fruit like apricots, prunes or dates.
Spanish here it would be the use of chorizo sausage that is common with tapas & bean dishes & stews etc. Everyone loves a good paella!
When referring to many nationalities what you have to remember we are in the Asia pacific region & are heavily influenced by their cuisines in Oz, not just Chinese & Japanese but a lot of Malaysian & Indonesian etc.
But it is not about dining out I'm talking about, it is the different foods we cook at home that come from all these nationalities. I can't remember a wk that didn't go by that I didn't cook a curry from at least 2 different countries in a fortnight [2 wks].
Of course there is a lot of the mainstream, mac cheese, tuna noodle, spag bol, meat & 3 veg etc.
I'll start a thread on Moroccan, too much for a thread on Low GI - so off topic!! :hammer:

Catch you later ~mt~
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:11 pm

Interesting...looking forward to your Moroccan post....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
missmommy

Number of posts : 732

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 pm

GI has everything to do do with sugar and nothing to do with fat. Cane sugar is arbitrarily given the number 100 and all other foods are rated from there. Fat will however slow the absorption rate of any food; for example a little olive oil on white pasta.
Watch out for pumpernickel/black breads as many have a lot of white flour in them. You just don't see it because they have coloring, sometimes even cocoa or coffee to darken them. Pumpernickel bread often has very little whole grain/wheat flour in it. Don't be fooled by the color. One of the biggest bread offenders is white bagels...killer. I used to eat a bagel every morning. I cut them out and lost 15 pounds in 3 months with very little other changes. Using the GI you can lose weight and lower your sugar, thereby avoiding(or delaying) the onset of Type II diabetes. My sugar went from 120 to 105 in a very short time by making a few changes and exercising . I still eat dark chocolate (just not as much) and I still use a bit of sugar in my coffee.
Foods ar rated as High, Med. and low on the Glycemic Index.
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:08 pm

This is so very interesting! Are you a in the medical profession or a nutritionist by any chance MurrayTart? You seem to know so much about this subject, I just hope I can retain everything you have gone over here. If not at least I know where to come and revisit the subject.

Thank you for the information...this is important stuff to know! Thumbup Although I don't think I will be trying Vegemite anytime soon, heard it kind of tastes a little like tar. tigger
Back to top Go down
missmommy

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 pm

I am...
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Missmommy, it is so good to know someone who has knowledge in this subject. This is a scary thing for some people who are on the verge of becoming diabetic or do they say pre-diabetic. And nice to be reminded what is good for your body and what is not! MurryTart always has such good food for "whats for dinner" at one point I was wondering if MT was a Chef maybe, besides being one at home that is.
Back to top Go down
MurrayTart

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 pm

G'day Schnookie

When I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2000 I went overboard in the extreme denying myself so many things, bad idea for me because then I tend to binge on everything I shouldn't have. Better to allow yourself a few treats than be excessive. Don't like to keep chips of ice cream in the house!

I just try to avoid too much processed food, no or little white bread or things made only with white flour but for some reason sourdough white is an acceptable choice as are other sourdoughs. We have little pkts. of pumpernickel that look like sliced grain, not easy to find sometimes but I have them as a treat with low fat ricotta & sliced fresh tomato.

Breads here are now starting to feature a Low GI symbol on the wrapper & some bakeries are now promoting a low GI grain bread.

I am not a chef my any means just a mad foodie which a lot of Australians are, even in small towns people indulge in the cafe culture. Asian food is everywhere because of where we are in the Pacific too, hard to find anyone who doesn't cook with fresh chillies these days. The common tomato sauce [ketchup] has been replaced by sweet chilli sauce as a popular choice!

My mad passion is cookbook collecting & I spend far too much time on an Aussie fooie website called Taste.com.au!

~mt~
:washing056:
Back to top Go down
missmommy

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 am

"Breads here are now starting to feature a Low GI symbol on the wrapper & some bakeries are now promoting a low GI grain bread" This is terrific.

It's too bad that this country doesn't insist that the GI number appears on our packaging. Heck, it took years for them to list the Transfat numbers!
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks for all the good info, I hope the GI symbol will help everyone make the right choices!
I have been trying to keep away from the prossesed foods, and white bread, but oh so hard to do when some comes for dinner, I like a nice old rustic bread with olive oil and balsamic.
And I just cannot stop a one little piece...but I guess I better learn how!
Back to top Go down
foxxigrani

Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:54 am

I want to thank you so much for all this info. I have been trying to find information on the food we eat, what is good and what is bad. So this has really helped me understand a little better what I am looking for. Thank you
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Rita I think personally that whole foods are the best, eradicating 'man made' over processed foods is the way to go, over refined, over processed doesnt do our bodies any good, they dont work to digest it, tehy dont get the nutrient values etc. The modern world of convience I believe has a lot to answer for including the sudden rise in diabetes and other health issues. In the end the over processed just isnt natural anymore.

MT when I lived in the states I found things were are heavily flavoured as in australia, for example dry soup packets, in australia I always keep chicken noodle and french onion on hand to toss into casseroles etc, I have a recipe I have been cooking for 30yrs and I made it in the states and it came out totally bland, I couldnt work it out, same ingredients, same everything but whoa - totally bland. I eventually realised it was the soup mix, it had virtually no flavour compared to the aussie versions. I found it hard to find real curry spices too and blackcurrant juice, oh how I longed for it LOL I had my parents send me a lot of the asian/malay spices so I could cook. I know some would be regional, the south had different spices and seasonings. The other thing I found hard to get in america was plain what I call 'real' food, I didnt eat all the drive thru burger stuff, I felt like a snooty fussy food princess putting on a turn, all I wanted was a plain ham & salad roll, or a simple chicken and salad sandwich, I couldnt find them anywhere. Everywhere was processed pre made, ready in a minute stuff, I missed hte bakeries and sandwich bars where you just walked in and said 'ummm Ill have a bit of this that and that on such and such bread please' I did however adore the frozen juice cans from the grocery store, what I would give for them here, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Number of posts : 9468

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 am

I've found this thread very interesting as hubby just found out this week that he is diabetic and I have low blood sugar!
First things first......NO way will I ever eat raw meat! Veggies and fruits I will.

We'll be going soon to talk to someone about his diet and I'm looking forward to that. I've been low blood sugar for over 25 yrs now so I'm sure this will help me also. I do know we're not to eat a lot of white flour or things made with it. Also limit our intake of white potatoes. I love sweet potatoes, but of course hubby doesn't. It's going to be quit a change for him as I've done this for so long. I'm NOT perfect. I have cheated on this for several years now, so I guess it's time to get back on the wagon and stay there. I just hope I can loose about 40 lbs. I'd love to be 130 again!

memaw4
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:10 pm

No frozen fruit juice cans? That is sad.....its nice not to carry big old jugs of juice into the house! I don't use soup mix I use base which is like a concentrated verison of a soup mix that is in a paste form. There are good versions of base and some that are just mostly salt.
I think things in the states vary greatly depending on location. Where I live it is quite a melting pot as many people came over to work in the auto factories and brought all their great food and traditions with them. Where my MIL and FIL live there is vary little variety.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 am

nice sounding diabetic cake recipe here

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:41 pm

I am a diabetic type 2. I had my blood tested at senior fair and it was 323. I was suprised as I had no problems from it. But now I test my blood once a day. And I also take pills for it. I have to eat several small meals. Which is hard because I am not a bigger eater. I need to lose some weight also.
Redwork
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes   Today at 11:14 am

Back to top Go down

LOW - GI Diet, recipes & tips for Type 2 diabetes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next