The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Red Delicious BOM 2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:41 am

Esther Aliu has started a new BOM on her blog called Red Delicious. 11 blocks - all red scraps appliqued on white background. She calls it a mystery but has listed the title of all 11 blocks & they sound darling. The first one is 2 appliqued red birds. 1st block is up until Dec 15 then comes down when #2 goes up, etc. She's using a website called SCRIBD to download them - manuevering in it was a bit strange for me. Take a look:

http://estheraliu.blogspot.com/2008/11/red-delicious-is-launched.html
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:13 am

I'm doing this BOM and I've convinced a local friend of mine to do so, also. :)

I'm doing mine in reds with a light tan background and chocolate/black sashing. My friend is doing oranges with a touch of teal, chocolate sashing.

A lot of people seem to have problems printing the last 2 pages of this month's clue, which are the actual applique pages. Upgrading to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat fixes the problem, apparently.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I printed it too...will try to do it... sure looks cute... Thanks IABM

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:20 pm

I think I'm going to try this one too!
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm not sure I want to do the whole thing, but thought some of the blocks might work for the tea towels we are going to make.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:54 am

Thanks I printed this one off for another project to do in the new year looks cute thanks for the tip... :peek:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:42 pm

This project looks delicious! I have downloaded it and stored it away for future use...a long with many others! Just not enough hours in the day Undesided thanks iambuzzysma for finding this one :))

Polly
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11568
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 am

This does look like fun.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:24 am

When does she post the next one???

Golo

Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Dec 15
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Hey its dec 15th here in Australia , new block is up :yahoo: and guess what, I just luv it lovehearts its beautiful, right up my alley, kind of thing I love. Enjoy it, I was wondering, when printing month 2 I discovered a general file she has, info to read prior to starting, a two page document, did everyone else find this and make a copy?
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks... ran it off... nice block...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:42 pm

For all of you in the states you get it a day early because Esther is here in Australia and with our time being ahead, well, mark the 14th as your date !

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:28 am

the next block is up.. it is just as beautiful!! I had been saving to do this.. how come Australia has all the talent!! and generous quilters..they do alot of freebie's..
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Just thinking of starting this one, looking at all the teeny pieces, I was going to do it needleturn but starting to ponder the 'wiseness' of that idea. The little bits of the cherry stems, the stems from the tail to the circles at each end, hmmmmmmmm. Then again fusible would be fiddly too, any thoughts?

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:43 pm

The designs are awfully nice. Which ever way you do them..I think they'd be nice? Go ahead and give them a go..as a present to yourself?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:01 am

I am deffo's doing this one, and I am doing it with fusible applique a blanket stitch. I am not very good at needleturn, so why make life more stressfull!! I guess though you could do a combination of both, needleturn the big easy bits and fuse the smaller fiddly bits. This one looks like its going to be a very popular BOM :D

Polly
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:39 am

I started it, couple of things so far I found with the first block, it says to add your top and bottom sashing first as the birds feet extend over them, thats fine but it doenst tell you that from what I can tell the bottom of that scalloped section that is the background to the birds feet, its secured in that seam with the sashing. I stitched it and the sashing piece at the same time but seeing as Im needle turning I turned the edges under on each end before stitching so it I can simply finish needle turning the scallops. I sat out on the verandah in the silence of the afternoon and started it, a swamp harrier (hawk) was gliding around, I could see the pair of black swans in a nearby paddock waddling around and hear the chitter of baby blue fairy wrens being fed their dinner, it was lovely, might have dinner and go back out, the temp is lovely, just perfect. Any more things I notice as I go I will post here, might help someone else.

Oh and other little thing with the first block, the tails on each bird are the same so you can just use one and cut it out on folded fabric to give you two facing in the same direction. Im doing the tail with the stems as one whole piece and then will put the round pieces on after. Also they eyes, hmmmm, not sure what she intends with them, I think a lot is left to your imagination, I noticed on her block she has now uploaded a help thing and makes a comment to this effect as some of her pieces are very very small, Im simply enlarging some, like the stems slightly to make it easier to sew and not so fragile, some things you could embroider or pen ink in too

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:59 am

Thanks for the tips, Gimpy Smitten

I recall that one of my friends who I am doing this with (uh, except I haven't started yet!) said the same thing about the sashing. I think she's doing hers in orange & teal with a brown sashing (I know for sure the orange and brown part). Mine will be red and tan with a black/brown print for sashing.

Are we going to have a special gallery for this BOM?

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:53 am

Sure we can get a gallery going for it, Im doing mine on muslin (only fabric I had enough of for the background LOL) and will go with reds, been wanting to do a red and cream quilt for some time. Will your friend post her pics here too and perhaps join us doing it, she is more than welcome

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Sure we can get a gallery going for it, Im doing mine on muslin (only fabric I had enough of for the background LOL) and will go with reds, been wanting to do a red and cream quilt for some time. Will your friend post her pics here too and perhaps join us doing it, she is more than welcome

I can probably get my friend to send pics to me, but not to join in on the fun. She's on dial-up and doesn't like to spend any more time than necessary on the internet (I'm thinking that would probably be the case even if she wasn't on dialup). scratch

BTW, I'll be doing mine with fusible web, also. Probably just a straight stitch around each piece to hold it in place until I get the feel for what I want to do.

Then it will probably require fourteen colors of thread and holding my mouth just right. :hammer: :)

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:48 am

Now that Xmas is over maybe I can get this started... thanks for the tips...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12839

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:19 pm

I can't seem to get it to down load here with the dial up. I missed the first one and all I can get on two is the first two pages, where it shows the plastic. Darned dial up!!! What is it fruit?? I see some leaves in the plastic. Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 pm

Norma, many people who have only been able to print the first 2 pages (and there are a lot of them!) have found that having the latest version of Adobe Reader has solved their problems.

Is the problem in the Scribd window, getting all of the pages to show, or is it afterward, in the "download" step - or somewhere else?

Here's where I'm seeing mine...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8993746/Red-Delicious-by-Esther-Aliu-Upload-2

I think I read that some said they didn't have to 'sign up' to download the BOM. I didn't try to figure that part out, just signed up and that's where I'm taken :)

Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12839

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Tracy, I have the latest Adobe and I didn't have to sign in, , it was just the first part, never did get to even see what it was, will check it out again later, Thanks lovehearts Norma

PS, while I'm thinking of it, there is a big article jumping the company we get our Dial Up from jumping them real good and so they say they are going to check into what they can upgrade in 2009. Had to laugh because their answer has always been there are not enough people to make it worth doing, but yet the people that wrote in told the other company that has far less customers and have done better for their customers, so maybe that will help us. :yahoo: Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Delicious BOM 2009   Today at 1:24 pm

Back to top Go down

Red Delicious BOM 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 19Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next