The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

A Tisket A Tasket BOM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:26 pm

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:
The next part of the story. . . Well, I found our small town, local grocery doesn't use clear deli containers. So, I prowled through the whole store, turning over every piece of clear plastic to read the number on the bottom. I didn't look around at other people - didn't want to know if anyone was noticing me. On my second trip through the bakery area, I found a pre-packaged carmel nut coffee cake - in #6 plastic! I'm pretty sure I'm going to deem it "not worth the calories", but we'll eat it anyhow - and then I can try my carrot nose button!

lmao lmao lmao lmao

Oh, the sacrifices you must make!!!

OMG, I'm SO glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffeecup

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 pm

LOL pity it wasnt 'carrot cake' then you truly would have been justified lmao I have made carrot nose buttons out of polymer clay stuff before, trying to think of hte name, fimo, thats it Im sure. Worked well and was fast and easy too.

Oh yes, I forgot, we opened an album for uploading pics of our blocks as we go :-)

Number of posts : 3401
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:36 pm

OK, I saw a pic of the Shrinky Dink thingy but now I can't find it!
Help Please!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Here's the official site. There's even a Wikipedia page. There's even a product that you can put through your inkjet printer.

ALSO, you can DIY Shrinky Dinks by recycling clear plastic that's marked with a "6". I believe #6 plastic is food-grade; in our grocery stores they package cookies in the bakery section (NOT the mass market stuff), salads and cold fried chicken. HERE is the link to read about DIY shrinky-dinks![/quote]

heres what tracey said about it :-)

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:40 pm

Golo,
I bought about 40 different dimples fat quarters to use as blenders,
but thought they would be good for the baskets. Each one a different
color dimples fabric. Whatever color goes with the month we are doing.
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks! Gimpy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Linda what a beautiful block I just love the blues....Annie Oak Leaf and Mamu you are welcome to come and play with any of my fabrics any time.....
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Linda - I love dimples! Your blue basket is so pretty. Looking forward to seeing the different colors of your dimples baskets from month to month.

Maybe we should start a new thread: "Things I ate so I'd have #6 plastic"! lmao
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:38 pm

:loves-chocolat :eating-chips-1 does this count? lmao you have the best sense of humour QBee

Number of posts : 4566

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 am

Was thinking of telling my DH about this as I know the grandkids would love to make shrinky dinks.....but I could just see her with the grandson in the cart with MOUNDS of plastic covered bakery goods and two smiling grand daughters on each side rolling down the isle....there would be NO stopping them when they got home...sugar highs :loves-chocolat :eating-chips-1 candle
:others-208: :others-171: :others-208: oh yeah......

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 am

Pookie wrote:
Linda what a beautiful block I just love the blues....Annie Oak Leaf and Mamu you are welcome to come and play with any of my fabrics any time.....

I already did :mockery-017: ....didn't you notice the slobber marks left behind?? bad girl oh.... that's right, guess those slobber marks are on my monitor

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:12 am

Linda..it's going to be fun to see those dimples each month!

I'm happy to hear you found some #6 plastic QBee. Oh the sacrifices we have to make for our quilting! I'm happy for you that the #6 didn't come with salad in it! lmao

Pookie..I wish I could come and play with your fabrics! They sure are pretty. lovehearts

Gimpy..if you're eating the stuff in those smilies..stop it right now! You know that isn't #6 plastic. lmao bad girl

I pulled my fabrics out for this one and I'm still very undecided about which fabric to use as my baskets. Anyways..I got the fabrics put together in a "kit" so they're ready to go. I'm thinking about making the blocks 9" finished because that gives me good options for the setting if I want something different from what the designer uses.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 am

Well, great!! (she says sarcastically) Turns out I misread the packaging! There's a 6 just sitting there so I thought that was it. When I removed the label, I could see the actual recycling symbol, and there's some other number in it. :hammer: Having the coffee cake with supper this evening, and it better taste good! With the weather the way it is, probably won't be off to a bigger city anytime soon to shop for either Shrinky Dinks or appropriately packaged deli food so - - -

I actually read the directions for the block (now that I only have a bit of machine appliquing left to do). Tonight after eating coffee cake, I'll follow the instructions and embroider that little carrot nose.
Back to top Go down
karol0405

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:06 am

I wish I had looked at your blocks before I did mine...but this is what I did! I like the blues too! But anyway....at least I did one!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:36 am

Oh Karol its beautiful, love your basket weave fabric and your colours and buttons, beautiful. Looks like you did some needleturn , nice work, love your block. What would you have done different if you had of looked at other blocks first?

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:42 am

I love your block Karol....the basket fabric is great and those dark buttons make the entire thing pops.
The flickr group is really growing have you looked lately?
We're up to 26
http://www.flickr.com/groups/969252@N20/
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:57 am

Gimpy...I would have made it BLUE!!

I did do needleturn...but the snowman is felt and blanket stitched down.

I did like the basket fabric. Have considered doing all the baskets out of the same fabric..will have to think on that....
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:03 am

okay...I created a flickr account...and uploaded my picture...how do I put with the other baskets? NEVER MIND...FIGURED IT OUT!

ps...WOW...some of those baskets are very nice!
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:14 am

Karol,
Those buttons make me think of cherries!!!! Yummy!!
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Sheesh - not only am I behind on my block, but I'm behind on admiring your blocks! Golo, your pink basket is great - what fun it will be to see your upcoming pink baskets. I don't think I'm a girly-girl, but I do like pink, all shades and hues! Karol - your lovely needleturn continues! Love the colors you used and your basket fabric. FiberBabble - that is the yummiest basket fabric! And thanks for pointing out the vine wasn't centered over the basket - I don't know if I would have noticed before fusing my leaves on, and then I would have been mad!

If anyone is thinking of shrinky dink buttons, here's my progress (actually lack of progress) report. DH bought a sandwich at our little bakery today and it was in a #6 plastic box! So, I tried two carrots tonight - one curled all up and stuck to itself and wouldn't flatten even though I tried the moment it came out of the oven. The other one was in there at the same time, and didn't shrink at all! My fine point orange Sharpie didn't color very well, so I colored both sides. That may have been the problem? This morning I ordered some brand name ShrinkyDink paper. But, now I think I'll need a 1/8" paper punch. The 1/4" holes were just too big. I tried just poking a nail in to make the hole, but then the plastic cracked. Well, if I ever have success at this, I'll tell you about it. Otherwise, I'll go down in QLR history as the Shrinky Dink Failure!! cry2
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Well, QBee, I'm sorry that after all that sacrifice and hard work to find the plastic it hasn't worked for you yet.

Now you've got me ta'wondering... I think that on Friday night (after Mr. W. goes to work because there are some things he just doesn't want to know) I'll play with plastic.

Stay tuned! :flower:

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:52 am

Tracey what does Mt W do for work? Does he work many nights? Its good to get a night off, the peace and quiet of night time is special, I love being home alone at night.

QBee sounds like you are certainly not going down as a failure but as a 'goer' you are giving it a go, that deserves merit all of its own accord. Maybe try fatter noses? Is hubby hungry? You could get him another sandwich!

Karol, you can make baskets to come in blue and all manner of colours, now you have it in your mind you wont see just her colour choice next time Im sure. You did a good job, you should be pleased with it :-)

Number of posts : 6322

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:55 am

I picked out fabrics for a basket last night. But I am slow, like my mascot, Pokey! anitas
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:20 am

I was wondering if the shrinky dinks would work if you were making something that small...and I wondered how to make the holes for the button to be sewn on. I was thinking that heating a nail and poking it through the plastic before shrinking might work..but a hole punch sounds much better! You are blazing new trails for us QBee! Maybe it would work to color them after shrinking? Get DH another sandwich..and try again? Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:30 am

QB....does DH own a dremel or very tiny drill bit...enlist his help! Let us know how it goes.
Did you see on the shrinky dink website they have printer friendly plastic sheets...print, cut and shrink...the possiblities are endless!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Tisket A Tasket BOM   Today at 2:58 pm

Back to top Go down

A Tisket A Tasket BOM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next