The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 pm

Okay, Paws isn't fond of bindings. Well, I'm not fond of sandwiching and basting the quilt. I am online now trying to avoid finishing sandwiching and spray basting a quilt top I've finished. I do not know why I avoid it, but man do I ever procrastinate.

What do you dislike and avoid doing?
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Luvsquilting.... just think how lovely it will be when you are done.... you post a picture and we will be looking for it.... :)

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:12 pm

I'm not fond of the basting step either...but I have to tell you I LOVE BINDING. I really look forward to it. The project is near completion and binding it just snugs it up all nice and neat. I did a binding today, got the front sewn on, ironed over and just waiting for hand sewing down the backside, Ijust ran into a bit of trouble with my shoulder and I wont be doing much of anything for a few days.
I learned my binding technique by watching a Sharon Shamber Video. I use really tiny dots of washable school glue and a hot iron to baste it in place after the front is machine sewn. so no clips or pins, just sit and watch tv and hand sew.
I know....I'll do Paws bindings and she can buy my fabrics ! What a deal huh!!
Back to top Go down
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 304

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:15 pm

I pin my quilts and I hate that step. I don't like to actually do the quilting either. I LOVE to put binding on.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:18 pm

and the quilt keeps you nice and warm while you are binding it... snuggle snuggle

Golo

Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Luvsquilting wrote:
What do you dislike and avoid doing?
Housework and cooking...so I hide out doing quilts! lol! Oh, you meant what is my least favorite part of the quilting process...ummm that would be the aaaaaaaa, when you ....ummmmmm, ....oh shoot....its the....aaaaaaaa...I guess I will have to get back to you on that one! lmao
Back to top Go down
Paws to quilt

Number of posts : 1081

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:11 pm

OK you guy......ease up on Paws Shocked . Binding definitly does not make my top ten list, but I like the looks of it best, soooooooooooooo.....I will do it. I may moan and whine, but I will do it (if I must). If I put all that work into a quilt, I want the old standard binding.

I can hear it now..........when I die you guys will say...."I can't remember her name, but she's the one who didn't like to do binding".

lmao lmao lmao lmao
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11374

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:04 pm

I am very unfond of housework. I am not fond of doing dishes, but I like to eat real food, so I take the trouble.

I dislike sandwiching, but have much better control on my home machine than on the guild's LA, so I do it. I don't enjoy binding. Like Paws, I do what I have to do for the effect I want. For some quilts, I figure that birthing it is OK because that way I can make many more charity quilts and spread the joy.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:37 am

I'm with Luvs. I don't like the basting step. I refuse to use pins or even thread, because I need/want my layers to have NO movement when I'm quilting. I almost always use spray basting (the stuff in the pink can).

It's a pain in the patoot to get my batting and backing cut to the larger sizes because I don't have a large surface to work on. Quilt tops, no matter how big they end up, are just a bunch of little pieces put together, so I don't have the problem of cutting them out (of course!).

PLUS I need to spray baste outside. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and it rains a lot here! Added to that my location next to water and on the side of a hill, there's always wind here. It's a rare day that I can spray baste at all (without wearing most of it!), so I get the layers ready and the minute I see both non-drippy skies and no wind, I'm out on the back deck faster than you can say Eleanor Burns.

Currently I have two quilts basted and waiting to be quilted, plus one that's partially quilted. That (and all of the UFO/BOM commitments I've taken on) will keep me busy until mid-late spring, when I have a chance to see the "weather window" again! :sunny:

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19916

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:41 am

I dont mind basting it once I get going but I do procrastinate on getting started. I pin baste, use the dining table and gravity to help me keep it smooth, like Tracey I dont have anywhere to get it all laid out anymore so I have to lay the roll of wadding/batting on the floor on one side of table and keep unravelling it until its bigger than the quilt top - lots of fiddle. Cant use the chemical sprays so just have to pin pin pin. I like binding, thats soothing and relaxing but I dont like quilting, I think that is in part to my 40+ year old sewing machine that doesnt have a 'drop feed dogs' option on it, means the quilt really drags and well, its hard work so I Id have to say dislikes in order from #1

#1 machine quilting
#2 sandwiching layers on a big quilt

Number of posts : 4566

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:53 am

'gimpy... an hint for you with your old machine's feed dogs....put tape over them or paper taped down or even a peice of plastic taped over them...they will still move but will not grab your quilt in machine quilting

I pin bast my quilts. I don't use the spray basting as it doesn't hold as well as I like and it gums up my needles. I use the small safety pins and pin about every three fingers.
I have also basted my quilts using wash a way thread. You can do this with your machine or by hand. Then I don't have to worry about taking out all of those pins, it is basted securely and I can machine quilt over the basting threads with no worry as they will wash out! I have done this with large (king) and small (table runners) quilts.
I also try to machine quilt in sections. This means for those larger quilts... I cut batting in three sections. I quilt the middle section, rolling up the ends...easy to do because there is no batting in them... then do the side sections. I can use a loose zig zag stitch to stitch together the batting sections and no one knows it wasn't one huge piece. :lol:
Of course.. if I have several quilts to do ... I rent the LA and get them all done quickly Thumbup

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:51 am

I don't like basting..but I'd have to say marking the quilting design is my least favorite. It's tedious, and you have to make sure the design fills an area right..but most of all..there's such a variety of marking tools I have to keep on hand..and there's always the fear that the markings won't come out..or will come out before the quilting is done! angry
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6207

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:29 pm

I agree with Annie, marking is a pain! :hammer: anitas
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:50 pm

I complain the most when I'm ironing. I always pre-wash my fabric, and then grumble while I iron it. Why is there a smile on this face??

Oh, and Paws, we'll remember your name - just make sure your obit says Betty "Paws" so we know it's you! lmao
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm

I finished. I'm just going around the outside with a zig zag to hold it in place. I do have some of that dissolving thread. It think I'm going to try that for basting next time. I used it on one but basted by machine and not by hand.

Here's the trick I used to get myself goin'. I have another top almost done...only border 2 and 3 of a 3 part border and the top is done. Well, I told myself I couldn't continue on that top until I had the other one sandwiched, basted and 4 blocks (out of 20) quilted. Then I'm going to only do border 2. Then I have to do 4 more blocks and then border 3.

It's the reward system. Of course, I didn't include time online trying to get out of doing something I don't want to do.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2251

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:25 pm

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:
Why is there a smile on this face??

lol!

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Paws to quilt

Number of posts : 1081

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:15 pm

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:

Oh, and Paws, we'll remember your name - just make sure your obit says Betty "Paws" so we know it's you! lmao

Ummmmm.....QBee, that's a good idea. I almost feel like I lead two lives
with names.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 pm

QBee I think you little person is allergis to ironing... she looks like she is sneezing... lmao

Golo

Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 pm

Golo - I think the poor dear is wiping the sweat from her brow!! :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:03 am

Luvs...only quilters would reward themselves for work..with more work? lmao lol!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19916

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:47 pm

I hate ironing, unless its quilt blocks LOL my iron died a few days ago, had to buy a new one, hard to find one with a flat stable base (with children and kitties in mind) most have fancy schmancy high heel bases!

Mamu I have tried that with my feed dogs, even taped a playing card over them but they seam to bite through and I havent had any success. I love my machine though, she is all metal and keeps going but I do sometimes wonder what it must be like to sew without feed dogs. I reckon seeing as I havent ever done it I dont know what Im missing LOL

Number of posts : 6742
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:19 pm

I dislike the pinning, but am not happy with the spray....I've tried it and it doesn't seem to hold as I manipulate a LOT because I'm not very experienced. So....Pin....have one of those wood handled tools that helps close and open the safety pins....works better than the grapefruit spoon I used to use. I use spray on small items and practice pieces. I usually put on a movie I REALLY like and just go for it....pin pin pin pin pin pin. I also try use the lofat/quilting in section/Marti Mitchell approach for large items, but don't have time for many large items.....that will come later after my band mom days...lol.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 pm

Helen...someone suggested to me some time ago to use a credit card, just punch a hole in the center and tape it down
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:59 pm

texasmusicmom wrote:
I also try use the lofat/quilting in section/Marti Mitchell approach for large items, but don't have time for many large items..

I've done the quilting in sections method. I was disparate to start a project and saw in a magazine Marti Mitchel's book. I looked at the LQS, JoAnn's and Barnes and Noble and could not find that darn book, so I kind of figured out my own method. I was making a king sized quilt and no way was I going to machine quilt that on my little bitty machine with a 7.5 inch throat. It turned out pretty good.
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6742
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:28 pm

It's a good book....I got mine on Amazon, but I"ve seen it in the Keepsake QUilting catalogue as well as Connecting Threads I think. SOunds like you did fine!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Today at 9:45 am

Back to top Go down

Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next