The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:49 am

I dislike pinning and basting intensely, only because I am no good at it. I pin a quilt to death, then baste it to death and still I end up with puckers and lumps and bumps. This is probably why I have a mountain of quilt tops! scratch

Polly
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:54 am

just gotta learn to love the lumps and bumps Polly, just think first time you wash a quilt it gets that wrinkly look anyway LOL

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:49 am

Yikes..I thought I was the only one that has ended up with lumps and bumps in my quilts..
When I finished the quilt for my son and DIL..for Xmas...it was very flat and didn't move...
but when I did the one for my daughter...there were a couple of Glaring mistakes...
In my case, I think the fabric was the difference...one laid quite well and the other did not..after I had made the mistake and realized that I really couldn't go back and have it ready for xmas...I thoguht...why didn' I just tie it...it would have been cute tied and then the fabrice could have been a little lose and it wouldn't have mattered...
Oh well...we live and learn...
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12607

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 am

Can anyone give me the name of the book that is the best to teach you how to quilt in sections, I sure would love to try it but want good instructions, learn the right way in the beginning. lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:09 pm

The one that I was trying to find was Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections. Here's the link to her website.

http://www.frommarti.com/tricks.html
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6743
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Krafty....I really like the Marti Mitchell book.....Machine Quilting in Sections. Same as Luvsquilting was talking about. I got it on Amazon, but you can order from her website or from other catalogues. It's easy to follow and makes sense. The "bump" created when you join sections isn't really that noticeable. She deals with several different ways.....quilting the center then adding the borders and quilting them, quilting the center with all the backing on and then adding the border batting and top, and also dividing the quilt itself into sections. She has several different ways to join the sections. She also deals with using different backing fabric to create a "backing" quilt. I think it's similar to the Cotton Theory quilting in sections, but I haven't really looked closely at that method. LQS offers classes on it, but I haven't taken any.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:34 pm

I must say I too pin my quilts have never tried the basting sprays not likely too...I am too used to pinning this is probably what I hate the most it plays havovic with my back very painful.... the quilting I don't mind depending the size of what I am quilting too big is very difficult and the binding I must agree with other you know your at the end so I quite enjoy that and the I hand sew the binding watching television after my girls go to bed...
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:54 pm

I have used the basting spray on wallhanging... works well, but have not tried to use it on a large quilt..I usually pin it.... I do know that I have to watch what can I am picking up when I am spraying sizing when I am ironing... almost used the basting spary one time... lol!

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:27 am

I know I already mentioned it, but I use spray baste for everything from wallhangings to oversized queen quilts. I like it because the layers don't shift at all, and when I'm quilting a large piece on my sewing machine, I need it to be as stable as possible. I just cannot get that kind of stability with pins, no matter how careful I am :(

Pins are also a problem for me because when I'm quilting I get into a groove, and stopping to take pins out destroys my rhythm.

The last queen quilt I did was in sections; I divided the width by 3 and cut one piece of batting that measurement by the length (plus about 2 extra inches at the top and bottom. I sprayed the batting, then laid it in the center of the quilt and then laid the backing on. That was the hardest part - getting the backing centered (it always is, for me). I left a LOT of extra along all 4 sides of the backing so that I wouldn't run short if it wasn't completely centered. (It wasn't).

After quilting the center of the quilt from top to bottom (and back again two or three times - I quilt heavily!) and leaving about 1-2" on each side of the batting unquilted, I handsewed the second piece of batting to one side of the first. The second (and third) lengths of batting were the 1/3 measurement plus 2-4" in width.

Heh. I just sat down to check in before bed, and here I go (again!). :D

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:20 pm

Tracy, I am with you. I love the spray basting. I've done different things like spray the bottom and add the top or spray the top and add it to the bottom. I think both work well.

Pookie, I think it really is all in what you are used to. Since I started my first quilt with the spray baste, that is what I am used to. I think if I had started pinning, that is what I would stick to also.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9373
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Well, I wasn't sure I wanted to answer this, but since you asked........... with my new frame I just use straight pins till it's on the frame then I take them all out and away I go! I love binding though the most.

YES, I will get a picture of the frame on here soon.......I promise.

memaw4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?   Today at 12:50 am

Back to top Go down

Sandwich/basting -- What do you dislike doing?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2