The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Tattered Garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

All Squared Up or Tattered Garden BOM 2009
All Squared Up
15%
 15% [ 2 ]
Tattered Garden
85%
 85% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 am

PK - I want to bop you on the head and tell you to shush it - only because it sounds so funny!! lmao I love the way you said it - think I'll use it the next time I suggest something to DH! :)

So, some of you are planning to cut the flowers and sew them back together? I hadn't thought about doing that with this one. The Fat Cat pattern doesn't shown them cut, but it should work either way? And Golo, you cut your flowers with your rotary cutter? I've never used my rotary cutter to cut anything curvy, except the with the EZ circle cut. Oh my - I'm so inexperienced. But, I promise I'll do a good job and make nice looking blocks! I just bought a new double needle - tried the one I have when we did the bullseye blocks, but the needles were spaced too far apart. I'm anxious to experiment with the new one.
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

Number of posts : 326

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:26 am

My vote would be to send the leaves along with the blocks. Even though I would dread sitting sewing them all on!! But whatever the majority decides is fine with me. I made a sample block yesterday to try the pattern. I pinned the pieces on and had no trouble. I used a double needle for the first time and really did not like using it. I will probably just stitch with a single needle twice around. Maybe I just need more practice with a double needle! But I promise I will not practice on your blocks.

Karen
Back to top Go down
breezepines2002

Number of posts : 1821

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:27 am

golo,, leaves aren't suppose to be perfect are they,?I like it alittle askrewed.. this is going to be a challengeing one I think after reading all these posts..
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:42 am

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

OUCH!! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!! OUCH!! OUCH! OUCH!! OUCH!!

Oh oops! I am supposed to :others-164:

HEHEHEHEHE

Hey, if we send the leaves along, then if you cut on the diagonal, you can hide the seam with the leaf!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:43 am

Well..since it looks like a tight fit..I think I'd rather have the leaves left unsewn. It would be nice to throw them in a baggy and include them with the blocks though. Of course that makes more work for you Golo..because you'll have to distribute them. :hammer:

I hadn't thought of cutting the blocks either. I guess because they show them uncut on the site with the patterns? That would make the blocks a bit smaller too..so would the leaves fit? Hmmm...have to think about that one!

OK..I've never sewn anything with a double needle... so will just sew around the flowers 2 times. Is there a particular size of space between rows of stitching that we should use?
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 am

I think we should do our own leafs...... that way we can make them to fit our blocks .... and there will be no loose leaves to lose.... (say that 3 X's :) ) Are we good with that??? I will go with the majority on this... I noticed on my previous bullseye that some ladies sewed on top the first line, some sewed right next to it and some had a little space in between... with a double needle there will be a little space in between...

It looks like there are 13 of us......so send off 12 (keep one for yourself) in a plastic bag - include a self paid self address envelope for the return.... All pkg MUST get to me by April 30 so I can get them sent back to you... you can always send them off early... pm me if you need my address....

You are probably going to want to make a couple extra for yourself... PLEASE most of all enjoy and have fun... and ask any questions you want.

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 am

I'm okay with doing my own leaves. And no, I couldn't say it three times fast, hardly once! :others-171:
Karen
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9361

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 am

StillStitchinInAlva wrote:
I'm okay with doing my own leaves. And no, I couldn't say it three times fast, hardly once! :others-171:
Karen

I think I could say it but it wouldn't sound very nice! cry2 Sew.....I'll shut my mouth and zip the lips..... :others-164:

I'm fine with sewing on the leaves.

memaw4

Golo, your block is beautiful. You did a fantastic job. :sewing1: Thanks for showing it to us.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 am

I'm not doing this swap but I was looking at an advertisment for the curve master foot and wondered if anyone had tried it out or is it a waste of money? If it works this looks like it would be the right foot for this job. Should I invest?
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3327

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm with golo! Lets do our own leaves to fit our blocks!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:21 pm

NO ONE LEAVES! EVERYONE MUST STAY!!!

Oh wait, do our own leaves after we get the blocks.... or before??? Oh now I am doubly confused! Cheesy
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:43 pm

I have a question....not really on this topic. How do you quote someone and it appears in a box above your text? Did not see the answer or question in the FAQ section. Just wondering

Karen
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 pm

StillStitchinInAlva wrote:
I have a question....not really on this topic. How do you quote someone and it appears in a box above your text? Did not see the answer or question in the FAQ section. Just wondering

Karen
In the upper right corner of the post you want to quote is a button labeled "quote". Click that. It will put the entire post in a bracket. If you only want part of the message, highlight the part that you DO NOT want and delete it, but be careful not to delete the [ or the ] at either end of the message.
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 pm

Bearfoot, thanks. I have been wondering how ya'll do that. scratch

Karen
Back to top Go down
breezepines2002

Number of posts : 1821

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:26 pm

I vote to send the leaves the smaller ones but not attach them,
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:09 am

In pondering the leaves issue, it would be fun to get all the different leaves selected by the block makers. BUT, I don't want to make this difficult for you, Golo. If we used those tiny gold safety pins, could we pin a little group of 4 leaves to one corner on each of our blocks? I'm not sure what Breeze means by the smaller leaves. Golo, I think you should decide, and then make an announcement, separate from this thread so your announcement doesn't get lost. Spell out what you want us to do and, by golly, we'll do it!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 pm

QBee, you made a good point there.... if everyone wants the leaves then they will have to pin them to each of their squares because I don't think I want to start dividing up leaves for every block that comes in... This may be the best way.... if you sew them on you are going to have to measure really good so they are under the 12". We can make this decision right before anyone sends them ... so we have a little time... how about we get the squares made and then decide.....

I hope everyone is ready and getting excited to get them made.... :yahoo:

If you don't remember everything then check the Locked Tattered Garden .....

Golo

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:31 pm

This is everyone that is in the swap.................

Start those sewing machines!!!!

Willow
Breeziepine
Ashlawnfarms
PrincessK
Anne
QueenBee
Cottonpicker
Golo
Mamu
Quiltbrain
Linda2B
Memaw4
StillstichninAlva

Golo

Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9361

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I was just thinking while at my daughters.....what if we leave the leaves off but send them each in their own package with the blocks then after we put our quilt together we add the leaves ourselves? That way we know they'll fit perfect. And if they don't we can cut them to fit our block.

Are we making two quilt blocks per person? I've not had a computer to check in with. I'll be heading home from DD Thursday the 5th. I'll check back in with all of you then.

hugs,
memaw4
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Just make 13 blocks and send 12...... If you need more blocks for a quilt then you will have to make them yourself... I think we are leaning towards leaving the leaves off and sewing them on ourselves....

Golo

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:45 pm

:hammer: Go back and look at the picture on page 9......... if you adjust the flower so the dip is in the corner and not the hump of the flower like mine is you should not have a problem with your leaves........... now if all the little dips are in the corners we're in good shape.... LOL but I am still leaning toward everyone sewing their own leaves on...

Golo

Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:18 pm

I'd sure like to see us make this work - and each of us sew our leaves onto the blocks we're sending for the swap. I think it should be fine if we do what you said, Golo - put the leaves in the "dips" and not on the "bumps"!!
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:37 pm

I think we should sew the leaves on the way golo says "In the dip!"
I would like to receive my blocks with the leaves sewn on.
Bonnie's idea about using the smaller leaves is good, too!
If we do both of these theleaves should fit fine and all should be well!!!!!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:51 pm

OKAY sew your leaves on... use the smaller leaves and make sure you have it so they go in the dip............. then there should be no problem...... I have four blocks made and laid the leaves out and measured... should be okay....

Golo

Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Q-Bee,
When you printed out the pattern it had 2 sets of leaves one for the smaller block and one for the larger block. Use the smaller one, that's what bonnie was talking about!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Today at 9:45 pm

Back to top Go down

Tattered Garden
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next