The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tattered Garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

All Squared Up or Tattered Garden BOM 2009
All Squared Up
15%
 15% [ 2 ]
Tattered Garden
85%
 85% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:48 pm

Qm, we are doing it here.... thanks for joining...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Oh I am tempted. I would just go with the flow. But I am head of the BBS and am nervous about other swaps. How does one go about being in one swap and heading up another? Undesided
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:50 am

Well PK..heading up a swap is one thing. That will be ongoing. BUT this swap..you just make your blocks and send them off to Golo. Then it's her responsibility.

Dang it! That reminds me of another question. I haven't done swaps before. Do we wait to see how many blocks we'll be making to determine how much return postage to send..or send a flat rate envelope or something? scratch
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 am

Patience ... AOL.... we will get to all that in Feb.... (but feel free to remind me again)

Golo

Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:36 pm

LOL! I might just join in. BUT NOT YET! azn
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 pm

golo wrote:
We will do 2 blocks each if not many sign up.... but lets hope a few more gals want to join.... Thank you Aol for all your extra input... it was needed...
as far as the dash... I hope I will have a lot of positive dashes inbetween.... Thumbup

I'm not sure I'm in yet or not, by two blocks each do you mean at this point with 9 people we would each be responsible for 18 blocks? I've not ever done a swap and am not sure how that works.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:28 pm

You have it right, CC... If we get more than 12 than we will just do one block, but under 12 than we can do two each ... just so we can end up with a a nice quilt... sure hope you are in... you will enjoy it...

Golo

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:31 pm

PK... you can do it... its a one time thing of making blocks and sending in.... and then the lovely wait of getting them back in the mail.... Oh the fun....

Golo

Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11557

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 pm

It would be simpler IMHO, for 9 people, to make 3 for themselves to add to the 9 they get.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20309

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 pm

gee I finally got a chance to see what the poll was doing here, looks like you all loved tattered garden! Golo, great way to choose what pattern, good thinking! Have fun everyone

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:51 pm

Oh all right! I am in! :hammer: I may beat myself over the head for this one. LOL!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 pm

We decided on scrappy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Yep..scrappy. I hope you'll join PK...you too CC. This sounds like fun!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:35 pm

Okay, I need some details. Is this going to be like the Bull's Eye swap? Are we going to be removing the fabric from behind each layer of applique, again? I have to tell you, I had a hard time with getting the circles to lay flat as I sewed. They wanted to pucker and bunch up. If we could do fusible, like just around the outside edge that would certainly eliminate that problem. I know we were worried about the bulk the fusible web added but when I made a test Bull's Eye block with just the outside fused, it worked great! It was not hard to sew through at all. Even when quilting. BUT I do not hand quilt either. So, which way are we hopping?
:garden3:
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:11 pm

Qm... we can take that into consideration when the time comes....

Pk... I believe the pattern calls for cutting behind... if you feel a little fusible works and makes no difference then go ahead and do it that way....

Golo

Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 pm

You can't put the fusible at the edge in this pattern as it is meant to fray and wont if there is fusible there.
I recently bought a real nice pair of gingher applique scissors that would work great for this, their the ones with the little duck bill on the bottom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Maybe the 505 spray fix would work to keep them in place while sewing. It disappears after a few days.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:39 am

It is supposed to have a frayed edge, so it's important to do only a line of stitching 1/4" in from the edge. I read some tips recently on holding large applique pieces in place. One idea was to use basting glue (I really like Roxanne's - you just use tiny dots and you don't need to wash it out until the quilt is washed). Or to use a glue stick - but I think you have to soak and rinse and iron each block then. If I can remember where I saw the tips, I'll share whatever else I learn! I'm thinking this is a little different than the bullseyes in that they aren't meant to be cut in fourths and then sewn back together - or am I wrong about that?
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:09 am

HMMM I was just think that just a little around the edge, about 1/4 in away from it, all the way around would do the trick, then you could still cut the under layers off, out, whatever the word is. I have seen this done, don't recall where, but that left the edges to fray, the applique pieces to stay put and one very happy quilt maker!
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:55 am

Aha! Good thought, PK. Very good! I had a brief spurt of feeling like a puritan or something, and thought I'd quit using my beloved Heat n' Bond Lite so there wouldn't be any stiffness to my applique. Even though I "window" the Heat n'Bond there's that little stiffness around the edge. I actually turned under and hand-basted all the pieces for one DGD's quilt :hammer: , then DGS came to visit and, of course, had his quilt with him. It's been loved, and dragged, and washed, and loved. . . and there's not a bit of stiffness left to those appliques! One DGD will have the one and only Heat n'Bond free quilt - no more of that turning under and basting business for me! Oops - a little pig trail, I guess.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:23 pm

WOAH! Too much work there! I am lazy! If it cannot get done quickly with nice results, it does not get done! I love the heat n' bond! The heavy is great for putting fabric over cardboard boxes (or paper mache ones too.) It is like using a sheet of hot glue rather than glue sticks and a hot glue gun. LOL! BIG PIG TRAIL there.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Oink! Oink! It's okay - we're just staying in touch and passing time 'till the swap officially begins!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Pig Trail Alert!...Pig trails are good! PK..I was thinking about covering a nice box I have here that movies came in. It has a nice hinged lid. I thought if I could just cover the box it would be nice for applique supplies. I have some of that heavy Heat n bond upstairs.Thanks! Thumbup
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Qb... you have two months to go... Thumbup

Golo

Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:52 pm

I made a 6 sided box or DD. It was a kit but it was really easy! The box is made up of compartments that are diamond shaped with diamond shaped lids, then they are placed onto a hexagon base. So easy! I used my heat n bond to put the fabric on and the glue gun to glue the three compartments together. It was fast. It turned out well, for a first-time-had-no-idea-what-the-heck-I-was-doing project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tattered Garden   Today at 4:35 am

Back to top Go down

Tattered Garden
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next