The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars

Share | 

Regina Grewe is BACK!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:13 pm

The first block of Regina Grewe's 2009 BOM has been posted.

Click Here

She says:
Collectible Blocks Series Starting January 2009: Little Birds

Here I will post, in loose order, small patterns as well as more of the bird blocks for paper piecing and appliqué that you can download for free. Occasionally there will be variations of a pattern or additional embroidery and quilting patterns for the down subscribers of my newsletter and down swap participants.

You can use the blocks in the bird series individually, collect them all for a larger project or combine them with the down flower blocks (the flowers are available for free at least until January 31, 2009).

The layout for block 1 that she's put up on the web page is pretty spiffy.

Now, while we're here... she's posted a very interesting (and easy) tutorial for shifting and rotating a block motif. It will work with paper foundation piecing as well as applique. Check it out (I'll x-post this somewhere else TOO, where it's easier to find):
Shifting a Block

Heheheh.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog

Last edited by FiberBabble on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1956

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 pm

WOW! What a great find. I wasn't aware of her free patterns. Thanks, Tracy.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19927
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 am

cool find, I have never heard of her but like her blocks, I like birdies :parrot: thanks for sharing

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:32 am

Tracy,
I've had birds on the brain !!! I signed up for a pattern site, there are so many excellent patterns here http://www.qorsite.com/patterns.html HOWEVER Pay pal took my money but I'm still waiting on my ID and password (to be sent in 3 - 5 days) That was on Dec. 31.
I have emailed and snail mailed and finaly am now in payment dispute with paypal.
I just want the patterns!! Does anyone know this site or are you a memeber, Odd thing is that just a couple days ago they added the blue jay so I know its not a dead site.

These Regina Grewe patterns might just be the birds I'll use. I did draft one myself I'm putting on a handbag, I'll post when finished.

Thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 am

So sorry to hear about your problems with the patterns CC. Good thing you paid through Paypal and have them to look into it.

Thanks Tracy! lovehearts
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Okay.. I have copied the pattern... and even sent her a picture of applique from our area and have recieved a free pattern for the birdhouse... Looking forward to doing these little birdies... Thanks FB....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:49 pm

FB you must stop finding these sites you are killing me lmao I was able to download the first bird but could not download the great_tip..PD6 is anyone else able to download this I love the idea of putting them in one wallhanging as space for these things does get hard..ohhh and do we know when these will become available each month??
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Pookie wrote:
FB you must stop finding these sites you are killing me lmao I was able to download the first bird but could not download the great_tip..PD6 is anyone else able to download this I love the idea of putting them in one wallhanging as space for these things does get hard..ohhh and do we know when these will become available each month??

Soooo sorry, Pookie. I just don't know what gets into me...

There is only one bird available so far - the great_tit.pdf or .pj6 files. The other two patterns (the birdhouse and the snowy picture) are available if you do the stuff she asks you to do - she'll email them to you.

I have the site marked to check every month on the 15th. The last update to the freebies page was 18 January, so my guess is that the next one will be somewhere in that neighborhood next month.

I love the flowers from last year. Have them all saved, including the suggested layout pics. Very inspiring!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:59 am

Ohhh okay so their is no pattern for the picture she shows of the wallhanging with them the first on a branch????and yes you are definately cheeky lol!
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:26 am

Pookie wrote:
Ohhh okay so their is no pattern for the picture she shows of the wallhanging with them the first on a branch????and yes you are definately cheeky lol!

No, the bird on the long branch is a suggestion/idea jump-off. (Though I have seriously considered copying it straight off!)

I suppose you could do that one with paper foundation piecing, but there would be a seam between the block and the rest of the "branch". Even though hers is just a drawing, in this case it makes sense to applique the bird onto a wide bit of fabric.

I wonder how one would quilt it?

Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:42 pm

I love the idea of the long branch with all the birds on it. Would it work if you put all the blocks together in a row THEN embroider a branch with leaves etc. under the birds? scratch
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:26 pm

I think she might have mentioned putting more than one bird on the branch (I like just the one with a lot of open area...looks all artsy fartsy).

I think that it would actually be easier to put all of the birds together and then do the branch. What if one bird is higher or lower in the block than another? In that case it would definitely be better to do the branch later. Of course, there's also her tute for moving the bird within the block...

Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Well I just lost a really long post on this topic....in a nutshell....6 blocks side by side your one branch with all birds will be 72 inches, what if you made the branch that long up front and just addeed the birds as the year went by.

If you tilt the pdf pattern and repeat her branch you could do a mock up, you would want to make subtel changes along the way to make it look natural
See Pic

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:26 pm

I love the idea of the birds on the branch so I think I will just play with it as they get made mine will be done by applique .....another project :affraid:
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:22 pm

I've had a stroke of genius (I think :lol: )

I opened the first bird pattern in EQ6, went to the applique tab, selected it with my arrow and mirrored the image, then I opend print/template, moved the pieces around so they had a bit more space, then..........cut two pieces of wonder under 8.5 x 11 and fed them through the printer, viola.....no tracing at all and pattern will be in proper orientation.
Some of you may have Adobe pdf writer and will be able to do this, if you have PDF reader only what you can try is flipping the paper so it prints on the web side (i think,,,,didn't try it).
NOTE: In EQ6 you will want to only use two pieces of wonder under not three and know your print order, mine prints last page first so I had to make sure that I had a sheet of paper in to feed first, no need to put that square onto wonder under.

Well I'm off to audition fabrics!!
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:26 pm

thanks CC will have to check that out...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:49 am

WOW, WOW, WOW Chris - you put WonderUnder thru the printer? Has anyone else done that? What a great idea - IF it works!!! :affraid:
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:30 am

My guess is that Chris uses an ink-jet printer, not a laser. I can't imagine what would happen when the WU hit the heating element in my laser printer!!

Oh - yes I can... DIVORCE COURT. Knuppel lmao

Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 am

Yea....laser might get just a tad goopy! it ran through my inkjet just fine. Most folks have inkjets so I think this might work for a few of us here. I'm anxious to give it a go. But i'm off this morning for a date with ye old pancake maker........ie: Mamogram!! Then errands. I did pull out a mess of fabric and googled the bird to check on its real colors.
BTW.....dh and I saw 6 robins yesterday....yes I live in Michigan. I emailed my weatherman!!
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:40 am

Calico_Chris wrote:

BTW.....dh and I saw 6 robins yesterday....yes I live in Michigan. I emailed my weatherman!!

That's so cool! Now, don't forget to watch the weather and you'll probably get a mention Thumbup

I don't remember the actual date, but I always stop and make a mental note of my first robin and my first butterfly of the year. Just a few seconds to actually focus and think and ponder Nature... :flower:

Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:44 am

My DH found this article on wintering robins....note this article is from Boston..thats Bawston
their winters are milder than ours according to my DD who lives just south of there.

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2009/01/26/robins_are_here_but_spring_is_not/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:09 am

CC..you are a very clever girl! I didn't know that you could create applique blocks from a design in EQ..so that in itself is pretty cool..but that you printed it out on wonder under is even better! Thanks for sharing the info.

I've seen Robins around here recently too. I was hoping it was a sign of Spring..but I guess not? Phooey! I'm tired of Winter..we have more snow coming. angry

FB..now if I saw a butterfly..THAT for sure would mean Winter's done! :yahoo:
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Well some of us can "create" applique blocks...some of us can just print off what they have :D I struggle with the drawing tools. You can also buy additional software packages from EQ that have JUST applique.

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/Shop.asp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:49 pm

I don't have EQ..but they sure have a lot of options with it. You little temptress you! I don't think I'd get much done other than sitting at the computer and playing? LOL

I have the Civil War Diary quilt book. If I ever actually do the blocks..I'm going to want some sort of program..otherwise you have to draft each block and make templates. I got spoiled with the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. Most of the work was done for us.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:04 pm

In a magazine recently it told about printing on fusible web. It said in no uncertain terms "do not use a laser printer"! I don't recall what magazine it was in, but I distinctly remember I was looking at it in the car while DH was driving. He asked about the whole process of my Machine Applique with Heat n'Bond - but I don't think he paid much attention to my answer. . . except to remind me that ink jet is a cool print process and laser jet is hot, so I wouldn't want to put anything sticky in our laser printers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regina Grewe is BACK!   Today at 4:50 am

Back to top Go down

Regina Grewe is BACK!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next