The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Scrap Bag Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
LEM

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-09-13

PostSubject: Scrap Bag Swap   Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 pm

I just had a thought -- amazing as that may sound -- but would anyone be interested in sharing or swapping scraps? By scraps I literally mean the leftovers that you have from other projects. I have a 64 gallon bin that is bursting at the seams and I do keep making projects from these scraps, but since most of my scraps are the same from project to project, I need a little variety. Plus I find that the scraps keep multiplying. I'm going to have to take Bearfoot's advise and separate my male from female scraps.

Here's what I was thinking -- If anyone is interested we could take a one gallon zipper storage bag and stuff it with as many cotton quilting scraps as can fit, push out all the air and mail in a flat rate envelope. Just to be fair I guess we should say that all the scraps should still be of a usuable size. I make string quilts so my scraps are usually the ends that I trim from the bolt when I true up the straight of grain. They are a little narrow on one end and wider on the other. I also have left over cotton from various clothing items I've made for family members. Of course there's always extra fabric that I've used for actually making quilts. All of my fabric has been pre-washed and usually the bolt edges are serged.

Well that should give you an idea anyway. Any takers?

LEM. cat3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 am

LEM what a fabulous idea I am however not able to swap due to my geographical position lmao Australia may just be too far....
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11386
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:03 am

The LAST thin g I need is more scraps! I think I have 6 boxes of them now.

Thanks anyway.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:52 am

QM, you wouldn't have more scraps... you would have different scraps.... I like the idea... just not sure if I have the proper sizes left... Will have to look into it... I have been pretty good at using up my scraps in quilts, appliques and other swaps.... I only have one garbage bag in use at the moment...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:50 pm

I think this is a great idea, but I have to look to see if I have suitable scraps for something like this...(I tend to save every little thing!)
Back to top Go down
karol0405

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:46 pm

I think it'sa good idea too. I keep going thru the same bin, and am getting tired of the same stuff! But I also save every little bit! and use little bits for my small appliques..but everyone might not want little bits. And I don't pre wash. So that might be a problem for some of you.

I'll keep watching this thread.

I wonder if australia bits are different than our US bits???? hmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
LEM

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

I make a lot of string quilts and sometimes create mosaic fabric out of some of the scraps with the same color values. So small pieces aren't a big issue for me. I usually use the too-small pieces as starter scraps -- you know the ones use use at the beginning of a chain piecing string so that you don't end up with a lump of tangled thread at the beginning of the first piece. I've got tons of those.

I guess for me a scrap that is smaller than 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 would probably be too small. I do have some very large scraps where I've trimmed off edges of a quilt back - usually four to five inches wide by 70 inches or so long. These I try to use in other things because there is just too much fabric to throw away, but to be honest, I'm getting tired of them.

What would you consider too small for a scrap trade?
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Lem...I used to toss everything less than 2x2 inches. I took all my pieces and cut them inti 2" squares...and saved those. THEN I discovered mini paper piecing. Oh my goodness...I can use itty bitty pieces there!! It just gets silly what I save! And then strings caught my attention...little long skinny strips I save. \

Maybe for the sake of a swap we would say, 2x2 inches or 1 1/2 inch strip pieces? At least that would work for me.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Are those width sizes? Length should be much longer ?

Golo

Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:54 pm

If someone wants to send postage, I'll ship you all you want!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Oh - I don't have nearly as much as you all have, but I am still getting tired of looking at some of them. I have one fabric in particular that I've used in 4 (I think) quilts...
It would depend on how many gallon bags we have to send - but I would like to swap. I think this is a great idea, LEM! doh Now why didn't I think of that!
Back to top Go down
Mtfarmer

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:37 pm

I can just see Lem dumping bags of scraps, tossing them, stuffing bags for each -- spaghetti of fabric. LOL. Sorry. Out in the sun too much today. I don't have alot of scraps with here in AZ - won't be home until mid March. But will watch with interest. I have a couple of gallon bags of "strings" as I was making string blocks last year. Cindy
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12606

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Wish I had scraps, since we don't have decent place to get material, and not enough money to make it worth my while to drive 200 miles to buy, I just have to keep working with what I have!! Not much of a variety either. I keep every little piece hoping I can find some flower when I applique to use it in. lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I guess the question is..what are you going to do with the scraps? Applique and mini-paper piece, then the little pieces are grand. But if you are really looking to piece a quilt, you may want larger pieces.
Back to top Go down
LEM

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:02 pm

I think we can do this! Do we want to set a sign up date? What I think we could do is each decide how many gallon bags we want to trade. I could probably trade 3 or 4 gallon bags.

Also I was thinking that instead of mailing all to one central location and sending a SASE or pay for return postage, I could just take a list of names of people who wanted to swap and how many gallons each person wanted to swap. Then I could put all the names in a hat and draw them out. If you wanted to trade 3 gallons, your name would be put in the hat three times. If we end up with an extra gallon, I'll toss in another one. Believe me, I have plenty. Then I could post who would be swapping with who. You would only have to pay to ship your scraps to your scrap partner and not worry about return postage. Also, that way you can trust that I'm not going to rummage through the scrap bags and pick out the best tid-bits for myself. lol!

Okay, who wants to play and how many times?
Back to top Go down
LEM

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Of course right after I hit the send button, I had another thought.

I think we should set the smallest scrap size as a 2x2 square. Any other thoughts?

I also think that we should weigh out bags after we fill them (kitchen scale should work) so that we are trading like amounts -- 1 pound, 2 pounds, 1/2 pound??? I'm not really sure how much will fit in a gallon bag, but I think that would be a fair way to do it too. Any other thoughts on this?

LEM.
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:14 pm

Works for me...sign me up. 3 or 4 gallons...
How tightly packed?
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:00 pm

do we want the scraps ironed and flat or can we jam them in the bag...

Golo

Back to top Go down
BearFoot

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:02 pm

golo wrote:
do we want the scraps ironed and flat or can we jam them in the bag...
Oh no! I have to iron them? :affraid: Undesided lol!
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:14 am

Golo, you were kidding, right? IRON!!!???!!! angry
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 am

lmao woke ya up didn't I...... lmao lmao

Golo

Back to top Go down
LEM

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:44 am

I just did a test bag -- stuffed full (not ironed!), pushed out all the air and it weighed about 1 1/4 pounds on my kitchen scale.

How about if we say that each gallon bag should contain about one pound of scraps after you push out all the air? That should fit nicely in a flat rate envelope.

BTW, I didin't even make a dent in my scrap pile. I may have to look at doing 50 bags hahahaha. Just kidding, but I will definitely do 4.

I say just cram the scraps in the bag. No need to iron.

Do we need to set a cut off date? How about end of February? or earlier? what would you like?

Right now I have the following:
Bearfoot 3-4 bags
LEM 4 bags
golo ???
Quiltermarynel ???
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:02 pm

I will have to take a look at my bag and make sure they are sizeable... then I will know ow many.. even if we can't send the same amount of bags it'll just be an even switch ... right?
and just cottons????? no flannels ???? no fleece ??? no satin?? no cats? no dogs??? :lol:

Golo

Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3328

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:52 pm

OK I think I'm good for 3 or 4.
I'll check my scraps and give you a
number by tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:05 pm

I don't have a scale Undesided Can you take a picture of your 1 lb bag so I get an idea of how full it is? I have been stuffing a baggie here...and think it weights about a pound...but it's not full? I need a visual!

I like the idea of mailing to an individual. If we can trust each other with our personal information Thumbup

I'm finding I think my scraps are very personal. How strange is that! I'm sitting here going thru them thinking...wonder what she's gonna think of me...based on my scraps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Bag Swap   Today at 6:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Scrap Bag Swap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next