The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 am

jennQT wrote:
I love soups....I can't wait to see everyone's receipes. I'm going to have to find a receipe that I've actually followed making soup. Usually I just start with a broth and then open the veggie drawer/fridge and start adding anything I find to it. My soups have everything but the kitchen sink in them LOL. lmao Jenn

I'm actually looking forward to that type of recipe - my 'kitchen sink soups' always turn out to be BLAND. I apparently don't know how to season a plain old stock-based soup (hint, hint). cry2

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 am

jennQT wrote:
I love soups....I can't wait to see everyone's receipes. I'm going to have to find a receipe that I've actually followed making soup. Usually I just start with a broth and then open the veggie drawer/fridge and start adding anything I find to it. My soups have everything but the kitchen sink in them LOL. lmao

Jenn

Jenn - reminds me of something I saw on Bonnie Hunt show - Bonnie was showing products she thought they should come out with. One was "Campbells Cream of Leftovers" soup. :) Bonnie said her mom made that often when she was growing up.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20329
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:05 pm

FibreBabble how do you make your kitchen sink soup? What kind of stock do you use? I reckon between us all we can give you a hand into making tastier soups if we have an idea what you usually use in your soup etc.

I never ate any soup but heinze tomato, slowly I started to make my own soups once we moved back to a move civilized climate where it actually got cold in winter. I love thick hearty soups, chicken & vege, kitchen sink style ones and I love a roast potato and mushroom one I used to make, mmmmmmmmmmmm, its raining today, windy and dark grey, perfect soup day, hmmmmmmmm dont think I have a thing to put itno a pot of soup, sigh, its grocery shopping week

Number of posts : 218

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Fibrebabble....I find adding a can of tomotoes to the soup makes a big difference and potatoes (I guess the starch adds something). All of my soups have carrots in it as I always have them on hand. Also, I love different herbs so I usually add savoury, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, or whatever I come across in the spice cabinet. Hope that helps :)
Jenn
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:51 pm

FibberBabble , I like to sauté tomatoes paste a little when making my soups and some of the veggies too. Sounds like JennQT and I cook somewhat alike when it comes to soup, I love potatoes in them and savoury, oregano and thyme...yep...thyme, is good in most soups. I also cook my spices in a little olive oil and then put in all my other stuff!

Oh hungry here, getting near and near to dinner...oh shoot, it is only 3:47 I guess I have a couple of hours to go yet... cry2 all this wonderful talk about soup has my mouth watering...think I will take a sneek peek in the frig. :)
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:55 pm

I always like to use celery in my soup and of course onion. I usually add potato to help thicken it and often add pumpkin. If mine is a tad bland I ususally add a little more chicken stock pwd which seems to round it out. I dont cook with salt but I add herbs and sometimes some spices like a dash of smokey paprika or some celery seed ground.

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for all of the ideas :D It doesn't occur to me to put tomato products in with a chicken or beef stock (though now that I type that it might be interesting with beef). Celery would probably be very helpful. I'm an onion/garlic/black pepper kinda gal, though I do grow my own rosemary (YUMmmmmm) and oregano.

We are NOT spice weinies in this house! Fire it up!

I tend to avoid salt as much as possible, but I think that soup might have to be a little bit salty to taste like, well, anything. Undesided Gimpy, you mentioned chicken soup pwd and all I could think of was SALT - like a ground up boullion cube. Is it something else?

Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 pm

FiberBabble, I don't use much salt either, there are a few Vegan Veggie Bouillons Cubes out there that don't have salt in them Rapunzel makes one that is very good. They make a couple others types that use some Sea Salt. Another is Harvest Sun puts out a Low Sodium BC and neither have MSG in their recipe! I get migraine type of headaches form MSG So I really keep away from that stuff!!!
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks for the name brands, Schnookie. I don't "do" MSG either - gives me serious and almost instant muscle spasms and I'm "down" for two days minimum. TG Safeway has decent MSG-free Chinese food!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the recipe collection - I bet that I'll learn a lot!!

Back to top Go down
MurrayTart

Number of posts : 1370
Location : Murray River NSW in Oz, hey, 101 ways to cook Squash!
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 am

Howdee~

We have some excellent stock powders that come in little tins or tubs, don't seem as salty as stock cubes [boullion cubes] All things boullion or broth is called stock here.

I even put a tsp of vegie stock powder in my basil pesto or mashed potatoes. Season my spaghetti sauce with beef stock powder same with soups or stews too. Very "Nancy" about salt here, imported, rock or sea often in a grinder. I have boxes of pink Murray River Salt & iodized rock salt & a big container of the plain old stuff for baking.

My secret seasoning ingredient would have to be my Lea & Perrins, gawd help anyone who gets between me & my Lea & Perrins.

Had morning tea with my motelier mates, costs of staff in hospitality here top of conversation, remember tipping isn't big here! $20. per hour seemed going rate!

Successful day in the sorting, packing & removing stuff to the bush fire appeal auction. Tomorrow more boxes needed & more trips to the op-shop [charity 2nd hand shop] with toys etc. Now I have to sort the kitchen to make way for my Kitchenaide which has been on an old desk in a bedroom & now desk is gone. Will have to do the Teabury Shuffle to get things moved around to move it into my appliance graveyard. Might have to sneak some stuff into my neighbours recycling bin - our is filling with all my cooking suppliments & mags. cry2

~mt~
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Tracey the chicken soup pwd I mentioned, not sure what brand or name or what its called in the states, its simply the pkt of soup mix, powdered that you pour hot water into and can drink ( tigger ) guess maybe cup-a-soup? anyway I use the plain old chicken noodle and the french onion for seasoning in casseroles etc, you can get them low sodium etc here. Here is a another useless tidbit for your trivia filled mind - in australia salt has iodine added to it, australia doesnt have naturally occuring iodine in the soil so its added to a number of items including salt (iodised table salt) and milk. Lack of iodine in the diet causes goiters and cretinism.

MT glad to see you here, I was wondering where you got to and if you were ok. Sounds like you are busy busy busy.

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Gimpy - We also buy iodized salt - though salt without iodine added to it is also available. There must be some reason for the non-iodized, but I don't know what it is. Certain health problems? Gourmet cooks?
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Had to look this one up! A nd this is what I found.

Non – iodized salt is manly for pickling. The iodine and anti-caking additives turn pickles dark and the pickling liquid cloudy. you can use it as table salt but it may get lumpy if exposed to moisture.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Huh. Well you learn something new every day, eh?

GC, I just an hour ago was looking at the chicken soup/add water and eat stuff at our market. I was wondering if maybe... and it is! Now I know what it is - and for the Americans here, it's not cup-a-soup, it's in the same type of box (and in the same neighborhood as) Lipton onion soup mix - I'll try to pick some up when I'm in the big city <snerk>.

Schnookie, are you planning to have a separate "Beans" category? I'm off to look up a recipe for something that resembles Campbells Bean & Bacon soup as requested by Mr. W.

Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 pm

FiberBabble wrote:
Schnookie, are you planning to have a separate "Beans" category? I'm off to look up a recipe for something that resembles Campbells Bean & Bacon soup as requested by Mr. W.

scratch Well that is a good question, I thought about it in the beginning and looked up what beans were classified as...some are casseroles and others are soups. In the case of Bean & Bacon soup, I would think it a soup. However, if it were baked beans I would think more of it being a casserole.

Does anyone want to chime in here? What do you think...
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 pm

I have a couple of cookbooks where beans and rice are lumped into one category... in case I didn't stir the pot enough the first time...
:angel6:

Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:37 am

FiberBabble, hum, beans and rice a nice side dish for sure. Maybe we need to change or re arrange the categories. Looking up Gumbo it is considered a soup or stew so we can just take that off the Category list and lump it in with soups and Stews same as Chowders. Now what else should we do here...Beans and Rice I think of Red Beans and Rice as in New Orleans style a traditional Monday meal in New Orleans , red beans are cooked with ham or sausage and seasonings, and served over rice.

Rename here: Beans, Rice and Stuffing's...now here it would be more like a side dish than a whole meal...versus in chili or soup style beans.

I think it a good thing to fine tune and update. So what else do you have in mind?
Starter - Entrees
Appetitzers
Condiments, Marinades and Spices
Diet Starters
Salads and Dressing
Soups, Stews, Gumbos and Goulash
Spreads, dips and Sauces

Main - Entrees
Breakfast/Brunch: Quiche's, Pancakes, Waffles, and such
Casseroles
Diet foods
Ethnic
Fruits and Vegetables
Meets: Beef, Poultry and Pork
Pasta, Noodles and Macaroni
Beans, Rice and Stuffing’s
Sandwiches, Subs and Heroes
Seafood

Breads
Biscuits
Breads
Diet (or whole grain)
Muffins
Rolls

Desserts
Cakes and Frosting
Candies and Fudge
Cookies (Biscuits), Pralines, and Puffs
Brownies, Bars (Slice) and Squares
Diet Dessert
Ice Cream and frozen Desserts
Pies and Puddings and Jello’s

Anyone have any other thoughts, always open to discussion! Thumbup

Last edited by Schnookie on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:13 am

Aww, geez Schnookie I'm sorry! I had read that list before, but didn't realize that it was the 'official' categories. I don't want to rock the boat or complicate things! How 'bout forgetting I stirred anything. Sheesh. doh

Here's the copycat recipe I found for the bean and bacon soup (bonus!!!). It looks like I need to make a quick trip to town for an ingredient or two. I'll give a report after I've made it for Mr. W.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/365/Campbells_Bean_Bacon_Soup54670.shtml
Ingredients:
2 cups navy beans -- soaked overnight
6 strips crispy fried bacon -- minced
3 medium carrots -- minced
3 medium celery stalks -- minced
1 medium onion -- minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 cloves garlic -- minced
4 ounces tomato paste
1 dash red pepper flakes
6 cups water, more if needed
2 cups ham stock, if available -- decrease water
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
few drops liquid Barbecue Smoke® -- optional
salt and pepper -- to taste

Directions:

Soak beans overnight and discard water. Place all ingredients except wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a large kettle. Simmer until beans are tender (about 3 hours) .(substituting 1 or 2 cups of ham stock for 1 or 2 cups of water gives this soup an extra depth of flavor)

Puree 1 to 2 cups of soup and return to pot. Add wine vinegar and liquid smoke, mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with hot cornbread and honey.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Campbell`s Bean & Bacon Soup serves 4

Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 am

FiberBabble wrote:
Aww, geez Schnookie I'm sorry! I had read that list before, but didn't realize that it was the 'official' categories. I don't want to rock the boat or complicate things! How 'bout forgetting I stirred anything. Sheesh. doh

FiberBabble, No way, I like your suggestions, they make a lot of sense to me Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Marian

Number of posts : 5106

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:27 am

It's been so cold here lately, that a good soup recipe would come in mighty handy! I love simmering it all day on the stove or in the crock pot. The house always smells so good!

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 pm

yesterday we woke to snow on the mts, today to frost, brrr. I put chicken in the slow cooker yesterday, today, hmmm think I might put some bolognaise sauce in the slow cooker. I really feel like nice soup though

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Chili for supper here tonight.... we have had rain and sleet and ice....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Oh, boy, Oh boy, we are off to a great start 5 wonderful, yummy recipes have come in...soup is on its way!....just a little teaser there hehe
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6797
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:14 pm

YIKES..lol...I need to pick...got one....thinking of another...yumyum winking
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Schnookie, you make me lol!