The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
quiltmom9 AQM9

Number of posts : 3497
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Old Fashioned Almond Roca

1/2 cup almonds, slivered

1 cup butter

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 tbsp corn syrup

2 tbsp water

(12oz) package milk chocolate chips

Prepare the pan: Grease a jelly roll pan and sprinkle almonds evenly over bottom. In heavy gauge saucepan, combine butter, sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil to brittle stage (300 degrees). Remove from heat. (This can take up to 30 minutes. Do not rush this process. If you cook at a high temperature, your candy will burn.) Pour the cooked mixture onto prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the hot candy. Let stand about 5 minutes. Chocolate chips will bedome shiny and soft. Spread evenly over the hot candy with back of a large spoon. Cool in refrigerator 20 minutes or on counter for 1 hour. Break into bite-sized pieces. Eat and enjoy.......

Alicia's Helpful hints......don't do anything else but cook this on the stove......no talking on the phone...or trying to watch the TV.....and it helps if you have a total of 4 hands......Plus it helps if you put your pan in a low oven 200 degrees for awhile before pouring candy over it......easier to spread candy out........any leftover almonds in pan sprinkle ontop of the chocolate once spread...... :rudolph:

Living in the beautiful Sierra Nevada of Northern California

http://community.webshots.com/user/abertquiltmom9
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Oh boy, shhhhh dont let Dh know this is on here, almond roca is his favourite, his is standing in the dining room eating what I think is his last precious piece as I type. i found a small box for his stocking

Number of posts : 6797
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Thanks GC!!!!

Yum...that sounds goooooooooddddd!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:28 pm

I think I have eaten that almond roca before and it is very yummy...

Krafty... I have been using eggs in my fudge for many years and not one person has ever gotten ill from it. But, should there be someone here that is afraid of using eggs in the recipe and would rather do their own thing with it, that is fine. I certainly would not be offended and would never make rude comments about others food preferences.

Looking forward to trying some of these very yummy recipes...... yum

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you Gimpy, I knew you would find that post before I did!

Next issue is:

Holiday Recipes, along with Starters - Entrees
, any dish you wish to share that you use for the holidays or special occasions....all good for this next issue!

I will also add the recipes that have been posted here MELT IN YOUR MOUTH FUDGE....by Mamu and OLD FASHIONED ALMOND ROCA by Abertquiltmom9 and incorporate them into the issue to be sent out. I surely hope all had a very Merry Christmas! I will be sending out a little note to let everyone know what is happening. Our issues will be a little behind the months, I am sure that will be ok with everyone, I hope. I will be adding my Candied Orange Peel recipe; and a chocolate recipe that my daughter made me for my birthday...it was yummie for sure!

If anyone has a great new recipe and would, like to share them please feel free and submit them into the QQC at smwurster@hotmail.com or you can also PM me to submit to the QQC.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Mamu, the fudge was a big hit... the gkids and DIL really loved it.... that definetely goes in my recipe box to make again... Thumbup

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Thank you Golo... I am so glad you took a 'chance' and tried the recipe. It has always been a big hit with our family and friends too. So fun to play with it and try new additions besides the walnuts. winking

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:23 pm

Mamu I hope to try the recipe later in the year, it sounds yummy. Raw eggs dont bother me, I used to drink them mixed like a milkshake with milk, vanilla and nutmeg,mmmmm Mum always gave that to us as a kid, they are very nutritious. I did a chocolate making course yrs ago and we used egg in it, it smooths and glosses the finished product. I used to date a guy who managed a gym, he adn his flatmate had 7 raw eggwhites for breakfast every day for the nutrients in them - they get broken down when subjected to heat. I always float my eggs in a glass of water before use anyway, old habit, healthy egg dont float! I like my meat medium rare too, mmmmmm just cant it dead like an old shoe. I havent eaten sushi though, thats got raw components but I have eaten fish that was 'cooked' in lime juice, no use of heat. the citrus juice acids literally cook the fish over time, it was delicous. I have also eaten cat, eel, sting ray and various other things LOL

Sounds like it would be a yummy fudge with pecans, mmmmmm and glace ginger (thats something I can eat day in day out!)

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:29 pm

Well, I love sushi, yum! I also love home made eggnog, yummO I must be a barbarian Undesided because I can say I like my steak on the rare side, yum-yummo not when it says moooo but just pink with a little of juice running out of it. Now my hubby that is different he has to have his steak dead as a doorknob, it is tuff to me and it always tastes like liver when it is over cooked. I like raw tuna, but it has to be the right kind of tuna. I like eel when it is slightly cooked and put over rice too. Eggs can be bad, but if you use fresh ones then there is little to worry about. I do not buy eggs that are not free-range eggs. Can't seem to get it passed my brain knowing that the poor little hens are in cages...yuck...Oh, I have had food poisoning three times, all from Chinese food that had been cooked at so called great resturants in San Fransico...will never eat chinese there again I can tell you that for a fact! tigger
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:57 pm

I have had food poisoning, first time I was 17 and Hungry Jacks (aka Burger King in the USA) opened in australia, I got a fish burger and was sooooooooooooooooooooo sick. Have had it since, once from Kentucky, ewwww and once from seafood.

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:12 am

DH took me to the brand new Fire Mountain Buffet when it opened for my birthday.
I was soooooo sick...will never ever eat there again. I think it was the spinach & fresh strawberry salad that did me in. It was rip roaring food poisoning.
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3405

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:19 am

Schnookie, Where are we in this recipe swap? I kinda lost track!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:49 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Schnookie wrote:
Okay Dokie, after reading the last few post, I am thinking that Holidays recipes and Starters – Entrees. We can be roll them all into one. So bring on your favorite Holiday yummies! Great time to add in any thing like soft chewy caramels, Carmel corn, Carmel apples, Ooo Ooo (fudge like chocolate) too, turkey, pumpkin this and that...turkey dinners and of course turkey leftovers, any thing you want to add to this issue is fine with me. OMG I am salivating already! Drool drool
I will send out an email to everyone also...Great thoughts there Gals!

October / November Issue will be:

Holiday Recipes , along with Starters - Entrees all good for this next isssue!

I pulled this for you TMM, this was what we are submitting as far as I know. I have got myself lost with it but hope to remedy the situation

Golo

Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:51 am

Just sent off an email to all letting everyone know what is going on with this swap. We have two recipes sent in and I am adding the two that was posted here, along with a couple of recipes that I have. Does anyone have a good nut mix recipe to share? You can send one recipe or two that would be just fine! We have 19 swappers and if you sent in one recipe, each we would be 19 delish recipes to try out. winking

Golo, I love Cookie Monster, he was my kids favorte! So much that I kicknamed my son Cookie Monster, he loved any cookie he could get his little hands on. Oh the day, I sure miss the fun times baking cookies with the little ones, now they are just a little different, but still fun.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:06 pm

I love Golos cookie monster too, even DH commented how cute it was and thats saying a lot LOL. I will get some recipes done I promise, looking forward to this swap

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Ya-hoooo dance we have eight new yum recipes that came in today! I was worried that no-one wanted to continue the swap, but I guess I was wrong whew we just all get so busy around this time of year and that is very understandable wouldn't you say.

Now a question was brought to my attention and I haven't really put a time limit on when recipes should be sent in by...my bad...so any thoughts on that one? Undesided I just seem to get them in and when I get enough to make and issue I put out a last call, and if no-one answers back with a wait for me then I figure it is time to stop and really get to putting these all together. But it would be nice to have some input on a time frame please. sleepy sleep on it and then let me know you thoughts....oh I Smitten love these smilleys they are so much fun!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 pm

Undesided Ummmmm, I dunno lmao

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Schnookie did you recieve the recipes I emailed a couple of days ago? Thought I better check, I have the document saved in case you didnt get it!

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Schnookie if you want a time frame you should set one... you are the one doing all the work. If you are happy with the way it is then just leave it... We are the lucky ones to end up with such a nice cookbook....

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

I agree with you Golo, Schnookie you are the boss, you tel us what you want and we must obey you bowing This year Im going to make my recipe book to hold all these recipes. I got a craftwood book and scrapbook paper to cover it and decorate, will be my special QLR cook book :readingsmilie: :bbq-21: :party-075: picnic

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Excuse me... scratch why are you using scrapbook paper and not making one with fabric? doh This could be a nice project for all of us to make to put our recipes in..

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Shocked Ummmm, cos I have really pretty scrap book paper I bought to use Embarassed LOL. Hmmmm I was thinking I need a recipe book just for jams or curries, thats two, might have to make covers for them!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Yes Gimpy I did get your recipes, Thud sorry I didn't send a reply, I seem to be backed up Thud all around my home...working at getting it back into shape or at least somewhat of a routeen around here.

The only reason I asked about a end date is it had been brought up to my attention that I never put a end date to send recipes into me...but then people get so busy I thought I would be able to work whom ever whated to add even if it was at the last minute., I just want it to be easy for everyone.

Your cook book stuff sounds like it will be a very special book when it is all done! I am sure it will be because of all the beautiful things you do through out, can't wait to see pictures of what it looks like when you are done. Anyone else out there decided oh what they will be doing with the recipes????
Well back to Days of Our Lives !:tvsmiley: lmao lmao
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 am

FYI...I am still working on the issue. Working on the Sweets and about ready to do the savory portion of the QCC.

coffeecup yum yum yum with a cupa these look so good for all year around if you ask me. Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Can Cook - Recipe Swap   Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 pm

I will be sending out the latest QCC soon and I must say we all eat so very well over the Holidays!

We have Three Categories to go yet to complete the Quilters Can Cook. FIY...At the end of the last issue, I will redo the Title page. In addition, try to make sure it matches with the issues that we all have. So lets finish up the Main - Entrees and send in recipes for Breakfast/Brunch: Quiche's, Pancakes, Waffles, and such

Quilters Can Cook Category & Food Groups

Starter - Entrees
Appetizers & Holiday Special Recipes
Condiments, Marinades and Spices
Diet Starters

Salads and Dressing
Soups, Stews and Chowders Gumbos

Spreads, dips and Sauces

Main - Entrees
Breakfast/Brunch: Quiche's, Pancakes, Waffles, and such
Casseroles
Crock-pot Slow cookers