The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Whats you favourite quilt book?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:06 pm

I havent a lot of quilt books, when they are priced around $60 Id rather put the $$$ into other things like fabric etc. I like old books, love the smell of foxed paper, anyway, I think my favourite book is an old one I bought online, its called
The Standard Book of Quiltmaking by Marguerite Ickis, my copy is the 1959 edition which is an unabridged copy of the original 1949 first edition. I have a batik beauties book Bob gave me, I love it too, am thinking of starting something from it this year, its just hard to choose which one first!

Whats your favourite quilt book?

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:20 am

Anything with pictures....honest!
:chores036:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:11 am

So many..I can't list them. I'm a quilt book junkie! Love the books especially with pics of antique quilts.
Back to top Go down
Jessica

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:31 pm

I like quilt books but have not purchased many...spend my money on fabric...but I always love to look at them. My neighbor has mor quilt books than anyone I know...they are eveywhere...she told me that I could always come over and get a pattern or book if I wanted it...so ....I think I will use hers.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Quilt and More is my favorite but I like them all and probably buy them all... :)

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12607

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Gosh, that is a hard question to answer, I have lots and I would say there are probably 20 of them in there I love, each for a different reason or way of doing things, depending what I'm wanting to work on. I love good quilt books, don't buy many magazines any more, too much junk in them, at least not my cup of tea. lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:10 pm

The one in my hand at the time (I have a ton of books...I with you AOL, I love book especially quilting ones!)
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:38 am

Oh come on Bearfoot - what book is currently in your hand???????????????????? A baby book perhaps?

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:03 am

Lately, I have been working my way thru an applique book. Applique 12 Easy Ways by Elly Sienkiewicz. I am teaching myself how to applique by hand. I have several people to spend time with in the doctor's office so I need something I can take with me while I sit and wait. Mom's eye doctor appointments always seem to be 2 hours...(which I think is ridiculous...its either inefficiency or greed...not sure which) Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 am

I'm a Bookaholic, too! Especially quilting books and novels! I frequently say I should have a warning alarm built in to me that would go off when I get too close to a bookstore! But, DH drives me right up to them, so he's a bad enabler!! :lol: But - about quilting books - I couldn't begin to choose a favorite, though one of my most used is Harriet Hargrave's "Mastering Machine Applique". Since MA is my favorite thing to do, I've studied that book over and over again. Another is Piece o'Cake's "New Applique Sampler", which I also studied over and over while working on needleturn.
Back to top Go down
Jessica

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:27 pm

I need to get out more...you all seem to have access to book stores and evreything...
We do have a Hastings in our town...maybe they have some quilting books I can drool over. I know they s lot of magazines...What ones would you all suggest?
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:02 pm

the fun thing about magazines right now is they are showing the new spring fabrics... oooooooh is there some nice stuff coming out.... I got a new Quilt mag today... now I need to go online and see if I can find some of that fabric.....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:07 am

For Magazines..I really like Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork and Quilting, QuiltMaker..they give quilting design suggestions for their patterns, and I still get Fons and Porters. That one isn't quite as good as it used to be..but I still like it.

I suggest looking online at the magazines to see if they offer things you'd like? Then you can find good prices on subscriptions too if you do a Google search..or search engine of your choice. Usually Amazon offers a better discount than the magazine's website.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:42 pm

the only mag I buy from time to time now days is Better Homes & Gardens American Patchwork Quilitng, like Anne said, its got alternate pattern suggestions etc. It the only mag I find here in australia that has the quilt patterns I like, always has antique quilt patterns, old style designs etc

Number of posts : 9373

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:10 am

Any and ALL quilt books! memaw4
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12607

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:31 am

I like most quilt books, but my favorite ones are the applique with beautiful flowers in them. Don't care for magazines any more unless I know there are some very good patterns in it, too much junk and advertising for me. I love to needle turn the most. Qbee, you should check into 'Applique The basics and beyond' by Janet Pittman too, I know you would love that one, great patterns too. I also like Mimi Dietrich's books, Barbra Brackman, Karen Kay Buckley, Jane Townswick, and Carol Armstrong's books too. I have lots of hard back books that I love, one of these days I need to make a file on them I guess, I'm getting so many!! lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
redworker2002

Number of posts : 92

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 am

Oh, I have so many! Very embarassing...I must be collecting them like fabric. I used to collect house decorating books, but not any more since the trend went to the 60's and 70's. As my mom used to say, " I lived through that era, I don't have to do it again". Thud I like the quiltbooks with antique quilts to recreate. I didn't live through those eras!!! One I have that I like a lot is "Childhood Treasures" Doll Quilts By and For Children by Merikay Waldvogel. Beautiful pictures, stories and photographs. Inspiring and motivating. I get most of my quilt books at Amazon, because they are quilte a bit cheaper there. :D
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 2:14 am

I love the ones with antique quilts and appliques, old fashioned repro applique styles. Love Blackbird designs stuff and bob recently bought me Quilts From the Henry Ford museum, its got some pretty lovelies in it too. Amazon is great, even with the cost of shipping the are still cheaper than buying here where the average quilt book in a store starts at $45

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 8:51 am

I too get Fons and Porters Love of Quilting magazine. I don't think it's as good, but maybe it's because I'm finding so many things I like online.

I think my favorite is always the most recent one I purchased. ;)

That would be the Storm at Sea pattern book.
Back to top Go down
redworker2002

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 10:26 am

Oh, I'm glad :oD ( I wanted a smiley here, but it keeps puting it at the end!!) you can get through Amazon...I looked through their website last night and couldn't see where they sent out past the US border. I ususally see what I want, or hear about it on the board and go check Amazon. I do have a book club with good prices,though. I don't very often get books at the LQS becasue of the expense.

Oh I love Blackbird stuff too!!!! yummmmmmmmmmm...the smileys are having a hard day today...poor guys
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 2:27 pm

This kind of reminds me that I should go to the used book store to get a book for a little trip we are making. I don't have anything to bring with me, so it would be nice to have something to do in the car, etc.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 5:58 pm

I dont like the Fons & Porter mag since they sold their name to that big publishing house. I liked it when it featured all their designs and now, well, no offense to all the designers featured but its a different magazine and I no longer buy it

Number of posts : 11388

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 6:21 pm

I really like the Brackman encylopedia of pieced patterns (from library) , as well as Montano's Floral Stitches. Sienkiewicz's Baltimore Beauties and Beyond was given to me about 9 months ago. I really love it, but have barely scratched the surface of its delights.

I don't have much use for must quilting books and mags, since there is rarely more than one thing I find even slightly interesting. I am generally more interested in techniques and places to start rather than patterns, anyway.
Back to top Go down
redworker2002

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 6:33 pm

OT: I want to kiss your adorable kitty, Gimpy!!!!!! smooooooch with that pink little tongue sticking out!! :D
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Tue May 12, 2009 6:40 pm

LOL Jasmine would sure like a smooch from you Nancy, she is such a softie. She snuggled under the blankies beside me all night last night, she stretches out and is soft and warm, mmmm. She is a real sweetie.

I just thought of a book Id love to see, has anyone taken a gander at it? its called William Morris in Applique, I drool over a pic of just the front cover LOL, it looks delicous!

http://www.amazon.com/William-Morris-Applique-Stunning-Individual/dp/1571207945

PostSubject: Re: Whats you favourite quilt book?   Today at 11:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Whats you favourite quilt book?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next