The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

What was the last book you purchased?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:09 am

I just bought "Dancing Dragonfly Quilts" by Sue Beevers. I have a dear cousin whom wants a 'dragonfly' quilt. I came across this book in Connecting Threads. It was on sale, what can I say!! It is a fabulous book tho, really want to make this one up.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9362
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:33 pm

I love Earlene Fowler books. Right now I'm reading......A Single Thread, by Marie Bostwick. So far it's good. On hold at the Library, Scarpetta! Can't remember author's name! cry2

memaw4
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19917

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 am

I just ordered "Award Winning Jams and Preserves" its by a blue ribbon winning american cook, I have the book from the library and wow, its got so much info, like a jam makers bible. Yahoo, I have one coming, too many recipes for me to copy out LOL was easier to buy the book

Number of posts : 11379

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:12 am

I just got delivery on Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedias of pieces and appliqued blocks. I am going to have lots of fun going through them.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:57 am

Oh do tell us what you think of it marynel, she does good books and that sounds really interesting!

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:10 am

I can smell the jellies cooking in your kitchen already, Gimp..

QM anxious to hear how you like the book and what new hints you learn...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 am

I just purchased Heart to Heart's "Easy Does It for Autumn" - because I loved Golo's September tea towel! There are perfect patterns for October and November tea towels. . . will you mind if I'm a copy-cat, Golo?
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Don't mind.. its a compliment... Isn't it a lovely book...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Oh QBee I recieved that book as a gift a couple of years ago, isnt it gorgeous? I made theoak leaf & acorn table runner in it, was fun to do. Cant wait to see your towels

Golo there are sooooooo many yummy sounding recipes in this book I dont where I will start, even a recipe for a jelly made from maple syrup, mmmmmm. So much practical canning and preserving info, its an amazing reference book

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Gimpy - doh Of course - I remember your table runner now! It was awfully hidden away in my memory bank until you mentioned it, though.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:52 am

Did anyone buy or get any books for xmas? I recieved a novel from santa - laura asked santa to give mama a book, I got "The ass saw the angel' by Nick Cave. I bought bob a couple of books on gardening, woodland/shade gardens so he was happy. Wondering what other people got?

:readingsmilie:

Number of posts : 12601

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:17 am

I get most of my books from the library, but did buy Ted Kennedy's latest book. I like Barbara Brackman's book titled" Prairie Flower A Year On The Plains " It's really a neat book, applique patterns in the Kansas City Star Heritage. It's a story of the pioneer woman on the prairie and has their idea of the patterns of flowers they come across on their travels. Very good book and neat patterns too. Decent Price on Amazon. Gimpy I have the "Simple Traditions " by Kim Diehl too, it's a good one also. lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 am

I didn't buy my newest books..they were gifts, but I got...
American Quilts in the Modern age 1870-1940. It's about 1.5" thick! Quilts from a quilt study group..lots of pics.
Four Blocks continued by Linda Giesler Carlson.. 4 block applique patterns.
Intuitive Color and Design by Jean Wells..some Gees bend type quilts..and color theory
Mariner's Compass quilts by Judy Mathieson..some great patterns!
The Sister Blocks by Eddie McGinnis..Kansas City Star blocks
Quilts in Red and Green by Terry Clothier Thompson..antique applique quilts
Vest Virginia Quilts and Quiltmakers by Fawn Valentine..lots of antique quilts
Wisconsin Quilts by Ellen Kort..more antique quilts
O'Glory by Eddie McGinnis..Americana quilt blocks from the Kansas City Star

I have only flipped through the books..but they all look like good ones to me? As we go through Winter..I'll have plenty of time to read through them? Thumbup
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:14 am

I got Sew Necessary by Nancy Halvorsen... lots of neat little projects in that books...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Ok I think I want all of your books ladies, they all sound yummy, antique quilts, appliques, red and green, nancy halvorsen -mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Number of posts : 6212

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:35 pm

I just bought Adventures with Leaders and Enders by Bonnie Hunter. I know Ann wanted to know how I liked it. I have problems being scrappy and thought this book could help. I like planed quilts. I like her premise of juast making a quilt in between the quilt you are working on. The thing I found very interesting is that Bonnie does not sort her scraps by color , but by value. Light, medium and dark. I think I will have fun playing with my scraps more now. anitas
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I ordered a shade gardening book but not here yet and last weekend at the 2nd hand bookstore I bought The Host by Stephenie Myer, its $37 in the stores, no way, I got a copy in great condition for $10.

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Anita M. wrote:
I just bought Adventures with Leaders and Enders by Bonnie Hunter. I know Ann wanted to know how I liked it. I have problems being scrappy and thought this book could help. I like planed quilts. I like her premise of juast making a quilt in between the quilt you are working on. The thing I found very interesting is that Bonnie does not sort her scraps by color , but by value. Light, medium and dark. I think I will have fun playing with my scraps more now. anitas

Anita, be sure to give us an ongoing review... I looked for that same book last week when Mom & I were trying to buy up the world, but couldnt find it. There are some things that I can't do unless it's leaders/enders (log cabin blocks come to mind).

As for me... Mom & I each got The Slow Cooker Bible that was on close-out at Borders. At Powell's I got The Sweet Potato Queens' Big Ass Cookbook, The Book Thief, and The Demon's Librarian. At the used bookstore I picked up 3 books that are continuations of series I read.

But wait! There's more! My local librarian (I have many but this is the local local one!) is "Making" me test out a new service they're thinking of providing - downloadable audiobooks. So in the last week I've downloaded and listened to The Lincoln Lawyer, Ritual in Death, Undead and Unwed, and Shakespeare's Landlord. Waiting in the wings is Grave Secret, The Warden and Undead and Unemployed.

It's been a bit of a busy week, bookwise. :roll:

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:18 am

Buggar, none of your links worked and quite a few of your titles FB sounded of interest to me!! Ill just have to google them one by one LOL

Hmmm back again, Lillith Saintcrow one sounds good, I just started her Dante series and enjoyed it so far. Charlaine Harris would be on my list. Let us know what undead and unwed is like, Im not into the harlequin bodice ripper type romances, I shuddered when I realised Id borrowed one recently, it was called Quick Bite, dont know who it was by, I just couldnt read it LOL I just peruse the state library catalogue online and choose titles from genres that appeal, it can be hit and miss at times but fun too. Never know what Im going in to collect from the libary. The warden sounds interesting too, thats the one by Anthony Trollop (hehehehehe great last name for a female author LOL)

I like the sound of the slow cooker bible too and the sweet potato one sounds too funny. Sounds like you really had fun, way to go and lucky you getting to trial the download service!! :readingsmilie: :readingsmilie:

Number of posts : 6212

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:30 am

FB, I ordered it from my LQS. It was backordered but came in a week. Right now I am using my 1=1/2" strips as leaders and enders. I remember seeing an 11 x 11 square block that has been on my wanna do list. I can do this! sewing2 anitas
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:34 am

FB what was the Demon Librarian like? I just finished THe Society, started The Devils Right Hand.

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 am

Well, it appears that I missed your post from after my shopping extravaganza, GC. From way 'back when, you couldn't click on the links b/c I didn't insert them! I know it might sound a bit pretentious (me? NO....) but pretty much all of the descriptions and reviews for my books are on my Goodreads page (except for cookbooks and craft books, usually).

Now, let's see where those books from forever ago stand now... I've made a couple of recipes from The Slow Cooker Bible and they've turned out well, so it's a keeper. I haven't ventured into Sweet Potato Queens cookbook territory yet - there are no pictures, so I'm not as easily led into temptation.

BTW, I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I highly recommend The Sweet Potato Queens First Big-Ass Novel. There's 'language' in it, but it made me laugh out loud - a lot.

The Book Thief and The Demon's Librarian are still on the shelf, waiting to be read. Those are print books, and it takes me longer to get around to reading them than it does the audiobooks.

As for the library download service? Boy, do I get their money's worth from it!

The Lincoln Lawyer (okay, they're links now) wasn't my thing, I stopped reading it. Ritual in Death, this series is always my thing. Even a so-so book in this series is better than most other books for me. I abandoned The Warden, but only because it was on audio and the writing style requires a print book.

That leaves the Charlaine Harris books and the Undead series. I'd been looking forward to Grave Secret, a continuation of a small Harris series, but I was disappointed in this one. I started her new Shakespeare series; the first book (Shakespeare's Landlord) was okay enough that I went on to the second book, Shakespeare's Champion. The second was okay, too. This is an okay background read for me. I doubt I'd actually pay $$ for the books, but if I can get them (in audio) from the library, then I'll continue on with the series.

The Undead series? It is light and fluffy and occasionally quite a hoot. I read #1 Undead and Unwed and #2 Undead and Unemployed. The third book, Undead and Unappreciated is loaded into my iPod for when I get to it. As long as there are a couple of books between them, I'm enjoying the series and will likely listen to all that I can get.

And guess what? I've read 16 other books since these. I've already written about 10 paragraphs too many, so maybe next time I'll just hit some high spots.

Brevity. Yeah, that's it. I'll try for brevity.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9482

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:19 am

I have all the Sweet Potato Queens books. I think they are quite funny. Haven't tried their recipes yet either.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm

I just bought a book called Stitch It Quilts, it was $10 in the quilt magazine section at the newsagent, I flipped it and found a quilt called Victorian Virtuoso, its white wiht a blue pattern. All the blue pattern has been coloured then they quilted around it. I wouldnt do that but with patience it could be converted and needle turned. I have been wanting to do a white with blue quilt, something like a hawaiian and this is that style so I grabbed the book.

I also have shipping to me another book coming in from the UK, I wanted it but didnt want to pay $78 bucks for it, when I found it through Abe Books half that I grabbed it, The Routledge Dictionary of Gods, Goddesses, Devils and Demons - cross refrences myths and figures around the world. Now I just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive clap (I cant wait LOL)

Number of posts : 3925

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 am

Well, here's where I can't list of my recent purchases.. lol! My DH bought me a "Nook" and I have put approx. 60 books on it and have read about a dozen of them so far. REALLY love my nook!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Today at 1:06 pm

Back to top Go down

What was the last book you purchased?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next