The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

What was the last book you purchased?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:37 pm

If I listed here I would have to admit to my mania for buying books . Now with that Kindle I have so many to choose from ! OK the Five I bought last night were The Final Frontiersman , James Campbell...Kindred , Octavia E Butler .... Land of the Burnt Thigh , Edith Eudora Kohl ....The Jew Store , Stella Suberman and Living Among the Headstones , Shannon Applegate
I have started reading Land of the Burnt Thigh even though I still have older books still waiting to be read. .I wonder do they have a BA , like they have AA ?? I think I am in need of one . But hey, something that you enjoy so much can't be bad ...can it ? I expect that's what AA's say Shocked
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:56 am

Well Id have to join too, one of the smartest jobs I had was working in a book shop, pity it was in the middle of Surfers Paradise but oh boy, talk about a kid in a candy store lovehearts
I havet time now as dinner is almost ready but I will look up the books later, they sound interesting. Bob is a big reader too, we try and be good, busy spending any spare $$ on garden stuff since moving here and we tend to avoid bookshops, they are dangerous, all 3 of us are addicted to books and we just wanna have this one and that one and oh that looks good - you know the feeling! HP just for your info, I order often from Abe Books (usually 2nd hand) this is the link you can choose to search oz and NZ first up, never had a problem with Abe and currently waiting on a book through them to arrive. The other one I order from is Borders, not sure if they have a store in canberra but their online site is great and free shipping all the time. Oh and the other one who is good to order from suprisingly is BigW they get in all kinds of books and can get things specifically for you, they are a great source for DVDs too, often they find stuff no one else can, they recently tracked down a dvd for hubby, it took them 3 mnths to find a copy and they happily bring in from overseas at no extra cost, they are worth checking out too

Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:25 am

I got to visit a 2nd hand bookstore last week clap what a treat, I got some goodies too. Hmm lets see, I got

Dead to the World - charlaine harris
Altogether Dead - charlaine harris
Dark Tower 1 'The Gunslinger" - Stephen King
Unscathed: Escape from Sierra Leone - Major Phil Ashby
Jarhead - Anthony Swofford

Normally I wont touch stephen king, just cant stand his stuff but the Dark Tower sci-fi series is an exception and I havent read them since high school. Saw a copy for a couple of bucks and thought 'why not its been a long time'. Only other of his apart from this series I read was Running Man which is wrote under the name Richard Bachman.

I finished Dead to The World this morning, not sure which one will get picked up next Undesided

Oh and I ordered some books online too, couple more in the charlaine harris guess you could call it 'true blood' series and another called Chickenhawk, a viet vets account as a chopper pilot, again one I read in high school and always wanted a copy of my own and to re-read.

Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:02 am

1434....Gavin Menzies The Year A Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance Gottta read 1421
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:27 am

Just yesterday I bought four used textbooks off of Amazon. Its a great place to go for textbooks, they also have a buy back program which I have participated in.
Even the used ones are overpriced! But sure beats the new price. I told DD that if she needs them she can keep them but if she doesn't think she needs them lets sell them back. At a fraction of the price I paid but better than nothing I guess.
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9710

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:33 pm

"Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes" and "More Sweet Tea". Anecdotes about growing up in the south. Light reading, good for these too hot days when it is hard to concentrate.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12840

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Chris, how do you go about selling books back to Amazon, and is it really worth it?? Do you keep them and mail them out to the people when they buy them or just send them in to Amazon and they sell them??
Smitten Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 am

Just ordered from Amazon...Mother Earths Quilt Sampler by Sieglinde Schoen Smith . A quilt book. Probably i sway beyond my ability but will be lovely eye candy . Also a couple of Kindle books . Two Civil War stories .... Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead and Shades of Gray by Jessica James .
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 am

Im just waiting on some books I ordered, got 3 Charlaine Harris books coming from the UK, $8 each and free shipping and thats new books, not second hand. Cheapest I can get one of her books here is $12 for a ratty old 2nd hand copy. I have another book coming from the states, cheapest i could find a 2nd hand copy in australia was $36 plus shipping or $8-10 I found a copy in the states for $1 with $4 shipping - not hard to guess who got my business doh

HP my DH's great great whatever Uncle was Turner Ashby, confederate brigadier general and jacksons cavalry commander in the shenandoah valley. I teased DH a few years back about buying him the Franklin Mint commemarative plate, he declined my offer LOL

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:18 am

Gimpy I read a lot of Civil war type books...real and fiction . That and English history and pioneering days tpes of things are my favourite reads . What a wonderful name ........
Tuirner Ashby .It sounds very of the era doesn't it ! , like something from a romantic novel LOL I have to admit that i have a sneaking liking for the Confederacy and the majority of what I read of that era is from that end of the country
Back to top Go down
redwork

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:10 am

Gimpy,
Have you ever used Powells.com. It is a awesome book store out of state of Washington. Mt daughter got me addicted by giving me gift card. Free shipping when you buy $50. which is easy to do. I buy alot of quilt books there. I also buy them at Joann with my 40% coupons.
Redwork
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Krafty,
For now I have just been using the Amazon Buy Back Program for Textbooks.
My last example which I dealt with this week.
In april I paid 115.00 for a new biology book, as it is a new book there were no used ones available.
This week they bought it back and I now have 54.00 credit. Shipping is free.
Last fall I returned two books but only got 15.00 but they were not purchased new.
I head from DD and the books arrived, I had them shipped to her workplace.
The prices on Amazon are much much better than the used books at her college both the used and the return prices they offer.
You can become a used book dealer on Amazon for other books but I don't know how that works. I often buy used books from them but tend to look for books that are for sale from a "used book store" not a individual. The nice thing about it is I feel the money is more secure because Amazon does all the money business.
I only had one bit of trouble, when I got my shipping confermation it was the wrong book. I wrote the company and got this email back saying...oh its the wrong book because some books have the same ISBN number (huh?) and she couldn't help me. I wrote her back and said I think that Amazon.com would be interested in my forwarding her letter...she resolved the issue immedatly. She had wanted me to pay for shipping to return the wrong book at my expense......it was a $3.00 book for goodness sake...I refused.....I donated the wrong book to the library (gardening for the southern climate)
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:25 am

I've been hooked on Harlan Coben books lately. He writes murder mystery. There are some twists that are fun. You know the kind that you read the surprise ending and then reflect how it now makes sense, but you just couldn't put it all together yourself.

The one I'm reading now is "The Woods". It's about a county prosecutor who prosecutes 2 rich boys for rape. Their rich fathers then hire a private detective firm to dig up dirt on the county prosecutor and of course there is dirt there. I can't put this one down. Oh, by the way, he's funny too. Gotta go with funny.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6324

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 am

No one else has mentioned this book so I will. This is the last book I bought and I got it for $20 at Nancy's Notions. They were offering free shipping at the time. It was on my Christmas list and I didn't get it so of course I had to buy it after Christmas. The book is Vintage Notions by Amy Barickman. I decided to read a bit each morning with the last of my coffee. It is set up in monthly sections with short essays and more. The woman it is written about and by , Mary Brooks Picken, was an amazing woman and I am really enjoying this book. I'm sure you will too! Thumbup anitas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was the last book you purchased?   Today at 5:11 pm

Back to top Go down

What was the last book you purchased?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4