The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Tshirt quilt interfacing question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6795
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:58 pm

I am in the midst of doing a double sided tshirt quilt throw for my DS#1. I am joining all the tshirts directly together...no sashing in the middle....will do a large denim border maybe....with a small additional inner border and binding of matching fabric...I'll figure that out when I get the centers put together. I'll tie it instead of quilting.....copying one I saw at a craft fair at our church. It was so soft and cuddly.

I have all the measurement and placement of the shirts figured out. Should I use interfacing for knits or regular interfacing? (definitely fusible..I know that part.) I know you use lightweight or featherweight. I'm thinking regular, since they don't have to stretch, but I do want it lightweight and soft. I'm not using batting unless colors bleed thru, as in Houston, you don't need a heavy throw except maybe once or twice a year...haha.

What have you guys used? Undesided
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 am

texasmusicmom,

I have not made a t-shirt quilt yet but the resource book I have says that you need to use a lightweight knit fusible stabilizer such as Fusi-knit. (1/2 yard per t-shirt) It says that a lightweight fusible knit-interfacing gives the t-shirts supports and reduces stretch without making it stiff.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:01 am

TMM.... you need to ask TLC as she has made several T-shirt quilts!!

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
tlcquiltnut

Number of posts : 1078
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 am

TMM, may I ask why you are making a double sided t shirt quilt. It seems to me it will be very heavy. I am thinking it will be heavy enough for those cool Texas nights if just one side of it is t shirts. Maybe make 2 quilt instead of one. Also if you tie it the double sided one will be really difficult to tie not to mention handling it. Tieing t shirt quilts is harder than a regular quilt.
About interfacing I used a cotton woven fusable made especially for t shirts. It worked nicely.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 am

tlc...do you have a source for the cotton woven fusable made especially for t shirts?
After seeing this post this morning (i thought i replied) I emailed DD and told her to get those shirts to me! Looks like a pretty quick quilt too! You may have to hold my hand :)
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Will you hold my hand too? I have a box of T-shirts that need to make a quilt too. Chicken to start it. :affraid:
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6795
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 pm

TLC...thanks for the advice! My DS asked that I put them all on one throw....they are all his music ones from high school..(he was in choir and band....lol....lots of shirts.) He wants a throw, not a bed quilt. Without the batting, it won't be quite as heavy. The quilter that had the throw I want to copy didn't use batting on hers and has washed it multiple times. As for tying....you may be right. Once I get it all together...I may quilt it on the machine instead. Might add the border after I quilt like Marti Michell does....I'll just see....a work in progress!
scratch
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tshirt quilt interfacing question   Today at 2:45 pm

Back to top Go down

Tshirt quilt interfacing question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1