The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Turkey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tlcquiltnut

Number of posts : 1078
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Turkey Dressing   Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:49 am

I don't know where this falls in the recipe box so will make a new topic..Please feel free to share your dressing recipes too. How about oyster dressing or cornbread dressing....?

Turkey Dressing

large onion
4or 5 stalks of celery(less if desired)
1/4 c or more of butter
Saute onion and celery

2 -3 cans of chicken broth, more if you like a moist dressing which I do.
2 eggs
giblets(ground up or chopped) I have to leave these out as DH doesn't like them at all. (I do however)
2 packages of dried bread cubes(unseasoned)
Sage to taste(I usually use 2 T of rubbed sage)
If you use seasoned bread cubes you can use less or eliminate sage altogether.
Mix all together. Let set overnight and stuff in birt or do it is a cassarole...

If you don't need this much cut it in half , this will stuff a 20 * bird. It is my all time favorite. You could add mushrooms if you like.... :thanksgiving3:
Back to top Go down
MurrayTart

Number of posts : 1370
Location : Murray River NSW in Oz, hey, 101 ways to cook Squash!
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 pm

G'day

That is one thing I miss here in Oz, is the way Americans do poultry stuffing [dressing] Here in Oz they use bread crumbs, or would you say crumbed bread not cubed bread & a lot of mixed herbs which for some reason remind me of the taste of dirt. Then the stuffing is real dense so they slice it!!
I remember my mother's turkey dressing, that was one thing she was particular about, coming from a Russian household I always wondered who taught her, my Russian grandmother was a shocking cook!! :affraid:
I still have fond memories of the stuffing & the poultry seasoning coming in a little yellow box with a turkey on the front - would that me right?
Can't give exact amounts but her dressing went like this for a big bird:

2 Pkts. cubed bread
2 Jimmy Dean sausage [did in come in a tube & you could also slice it to fry]
2 large onions, dice
4 sticks celery, dice
Lots of butter

She'd fry off the sausage mince [break it up with a fork] with the onion & celery then add a few Tblsp of poultry seasoning & season with salt & pepper. She'd combine that with the cubed bread & lot's of melted butter & put it all in a bowl in the fridge & then stuff the bird first thing in the morning & do the roast & baste thing! Think I would use chicken stock [they don't use the word broth here] these days instead of all the melted butter to moisten it, tlc the chicken broth in the tin is a good idea!

Saw one of our TV chefs do a similar thing here but instead pf poultry seasoning she used a combination of fresh sage, thyme & rosemary. She also soaked a good handful of dried apple in verjuice but you could use apple juice, cider or white wine & then diced that & added to her Aussie style crumb mix but I'd use cubed bread.

My old Ma was always very critical of other people's stuffing!lol!

~mt~ :thanksgiving6:
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Interesting to hear about foods in OZ. All I know of is "shrimp on the barbie" I guess that drives you all nuts down there! Our cubed stuffing can be sliced as cold leftovers if its been cooked in the bird.
My mom was like your mom about her potato salad recipe....she'd taste and announce "well this isn't like mine at all" and she was usually right....she made one mean potoato salad....and so do I <wink>.
TLC your recipe sound about like mine. I like it with a lot of celery
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12827

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:25 pm

I'm trying something different this year, I have done my turkey early, sliced it and froze, then will make every thing else at the right time, sure seems funny and not right, I have always cooked my dressing in the bird, but just thought I'd try it for once and see if it helps with some of the mess earlier lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Cottonpicker

Number of posts : 206

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:19 pm

TLC and MT, Thanks for the stuffing recipes. My mother made fabulous corn bread dressing. I have never been able to reproduce it exactly, as she didn't have the amounts, just threw it altogether. Her's was your ingredients TLC ,except corn bread for the bread cubes. She boiled the giblets and used that broth. She also added some dry mustard and salt and pepper, but other than that only sage, which is one of my favorite things in the world. :thanksgiving6:

CC, Please give us your pataaata salad recipe. I do love a good potato salad. I have a good recipe myself just don't know the amounts. But I will try to guess and post it in the salad thread.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:24 am

This is exerpted from a blog post I wrote a couple of years ago...

A couple of years ago, I made the absolute best, most outstanding, unbelievably incredible dressing. I know this, because Mom and Mr. W. waxed rhapsodic (and at length) about how good it was. The more they gushed, the more embarrassed I became. Now, I'm not one to turn down accolades, but finally I could take it no longer. I had to fess up! I stood in the middle of the kitchen, a bit red-faced, and announced I was going to share the secret of my super-stuffing. I opened up the cupboard under the sink, reached into the trash can, and pulled out two boxes of WalMart Stuffing Mix. You know, the "fake" Stove Top stuffing? All I'd done is add onion, celery (and probably garlic, knowing me) to the box mix.

I sure wish that I could take credit for the incredible dressing, but alas, it was not to be. Fortunately, everyone got a good laugh from it, and now each year we're sure to make a trip to Wally World to get boxed stuffing mix before the holidays.

I realized after I published the post that I forgot to write that I put sage in it... so much for sharing the "secret recipe" with the masses!

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 am

Fb, the only way I make dressing is with Stove Top.... I add a little bit moreof everything and it is delicious.... easy way to go.... I like that Krafty Lady has already made her bird and froze it... smart thinking....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:00 am

I'm happy and releaved ( sp ) to say the turkey came out very good. I was afraid it would be dry with out the dressing cooked with it!! Now the major work is done and the big roaster is cleaned and put away again!! Tammy, your dressing is a lot like mine, except I have to make more, this bunch is crazy for dressing, hot or cold!!! My Tami is bringing the pies, stuffed celery and sweet potatoes. I'm making apple salad too, don't have any idea what Debbie will bring if she comes!!! She was a good cook when she was home, but she gets out of it as much as she can since she married scratch sure doesn't make sense to me, and her husband lets her get by with it!! I love to cook, just don't like all the mess to clean up afterwards, I don't have a dish washer! lovehearts

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:20 am

LOL..FB your stuffing is very much like mine. We had DH's whole extended family here for Thanksgiving one year and I was nervous about making good stuffing, so I made the kind I knew was good. I used Stove top stuffing (they even have a corn bread one)mixed with 1 box of Uncle Ben's quick cooking herb wild rice mix and 1 can of mushrooms...except I doubled it. They raved over my stuffing! DH's niece by marriage is Chinese and asked if I would give her my wonderful recipe, because she was sure her family would love it as much as she did, and she wanted to share it. I think I turned several shades of red too! lmao It takes 5 minutes to cook..so it's great to make when you're doing 5 other things at the last minute! I make it on the stove top, because if you put it in the bird, it takes longer for the Turkey to cook and it gets ugly colored. I gave her the recipe and she has told me it's the only kind her family likes..and they still use the recipe!
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 pm

I would like to make a turkey pot pie but have some questions??? I cooked all the goodies off the carcus and picked through the meat, have two nice bowls with plenty of broth which I plan on refrigerating over night and skimming the fat off in the morning. Then I want to freeze and put in sealer bags and put in freezer for now. I was thinking of cooking some celery and onion in the broth and then add meat and frozen ???or canned ??? mixed vegetables, and cook with biscuits on the top. Do I thicken the broth some and which kind of vegetables would be the best??? i've cooked since I was 8 but have never made one of these. Wonder how long it would take to bake buscuits on the top so they are done too???
I'm just feeling my way through this one winking Norma

Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:11 am

Krafty,
I make turkey pie frequently, I saute onion in a little oil or butter while I dice potatoes small, then carrots small. I cook these seperate
SOmetimes if I'm in a hurry I'll just do potatoes then a frozen veggie mix, you know the one with peas carrots green beans and lima.s
To my saute'd onion I add flour and make a paste (roux) then add my broth and any left over gravy I might have. Throw in cooked veggies and allow the mix to cool...thats cause I make mine with pie dough and it would melt if added hot.

I use this same filling for a steamed drop dumpling that is out of this world, I do this covered on the stove top.
Biscuits would be great too in the oven.
Back to top Go down
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 304

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:25 am

Krafty Lady wrote:
I'm trying something different this year, I have done my turkey early, sliced it and froze, then will make every thing else at the right time, sure seems funny and not right, I have always cooked my dressing in the bird, but just thought I'd try it for once and see if it helps with some of the mess earlier lovehearts Norma

I did that last year and will do it this year as well. I cook the turkey the day before, slice it and just warm it up on the big day. This year I will be making two turkeys. Undesided I really don't like to entertain and I get chosen because I am located in the middle of my two children. They both live about an hour away in different directions. Cheesy
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:26 am

Thanks Chris, I'll have to try that. sounds good to me.

Sally, I sure was surprised at how moist the turkey is, thought the dressing was what kept it that way. I don't care to entertain either, I thought maybe it was because I always worked the evening shift and slept during the day. It always upsets your regular routine as you have all that to do besides your regular things, always made me feel tired for a couple of days trying to get get caught up!! I'm going to fix the ham that way too, all the waste is cleaned up and gone, plus the big pans. lovehearts Norma

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:19 am

We shouldn't feel quilty for using box stuff... if it turns out good and everyone compliments the meal thats the main thing... comeradery.... :)

Golo

Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:17 pm

I am for anything that is easy as long as it tasts good and my family likes it. We like the boxed Augratin Potatoes with ham in it, much easier than going through the other way from scratch. Put a salad with it and you have a meal! lovehearts Norma

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Turkey Soup   Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:00 pm

I've heard some people cook the carcass of their Turkey and make soup. I've never done it and wonder if anybody here has? If I make Turkey noodle or Turkey vegetable soup I start by stewing Turkey backs or necks/wings from the market. I've never cooked a carcass and wonder if you really get any flavor from it? It seems like the flavor would already be cooked out..or is it the stuff from the bones that comes out and makes it good? I've always removed the meat from the bones after the big dinner because it seemed like if I refrigerated the meat still on the bones it gets a "gamey" taste. Would I boil the carcass as I'm cleaning up from dinner..or can it be refrigerated and made the next day?
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 pm

AOL, I always freeze up the left over carcass with meat on it... and several weeks later I will make a soup... I just throw it in a big pot and cook it for awhile with and onion and carrots and seasonings...later I add veggies and potatoes or rice or noodles.. if I feel it doesn't have enough flavor I just throw in a chicken boulion cube... its always been good soup...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:13 pm

You get a lot of meat from that carcass too! :-)
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:58 pm

I baked my turkey ahead this time and now every thing is sliced and frozen in the freezer. The next day I took the carcus and put it on with some of the small pieces of turkey from when I sliced it and let it cook slow most of the day until the rest of the meat fell off, then checked the broth for any bones and cut up the meat. I have enough for two big containers of broth and will add some boullion celery, vegetables etc for soup, also can use some of it for dumplings . Also plan on making a turkey pot pie. You guys have been talking about them so much I'm hungry for one!! This is the first year I haven't baked my dressing in my turkey on Thanksgiving, but I like this better, now Ill just make my dressing and not have all the mess of the bird that day. Think I'll get another one and fix for the freezer too for later when they are cheap,. We bought one of those machines that seals the air out and no freezer burn, keeps lots longer. That's our Xmas present to one another this year. lovehearts Norma

Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:46 pm

Ann, in regards to the carcass. It does make an excellent broth however be aware of a couple of things:

a) if you have stuffed your bird rinse it out and flush all stuffing, it will make your broth cloudy

b) If you didn't remove the kidneys before you cooked it do so before you make your soup. You will find the kidneys on either side of the back bone in a sort of well (indentation) I take my thumb and remove them both then rinse with clear water, I always do this before I cook it so it doesn't bleed into the stuffing. The blood makes for nasty soup.

c) your bones will give up more flavor if you start with COLD water and barly simmer it.

Now my last hint......and many will say i'm wasting my time but I learned this from Sara Moulton of the food channel and since using her method my soup has improved..its time consuming and you may think you waste veggies but it makes a darn good pot of soup, and I usually make this a two day process.
Remove and set aside any meat that is easily removable. Put your carcass in COLD water along with rough chopped celery, carrots or whatever left over veggies you may have...onion too. Cook this slow till there is no flavor left in the veggies. Strain through cheese cloth and discard used up veggies. I use a nylon mesh coffee filter (the kind you rinse out).
Then I usually set in the garage overnight to cool.
Next day or after straining add freshly chopped onion, celery and sliced carrots, cook till just tender but not mushy, throw in reserved meat just to heat through, then make dumplings with flour, salt and egg.
I like this soup because the broth is clean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:34 am

Cooking with the veggies sounds like a good idea..and getting rid of them once they are mushy sounds good too. I think I'm going to try this this year.

In Sunday's paper they had an idea to use up leftover stuffing that sounded interesting too. It said to mix left over stuffing with 3 whole eggs, beaten..then set this aside for a few minutes to absorb the moisture. Use 2 Tablespoons of the stuffing mixture to form dumplings and cook for a few minutes in a simmering broth made from chicken stock, onion, turkey, and other on hand ingredients. I think I'd like to try this one too..if not with this pot of soup maybe sometime with a box of Stovetop mix and canned broth?
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:52 pm

AOL, I like the idea of stuffing dumplings... will have to try that... yum yum I do wonder how much left over stuffing they used....

Golo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 am

The article didn't say how much stuffing..but it said 3 eggs. LOL..kinda funny!
I mix wild rice and mushrooms in with my Thanksgiving stuffing, but thought this sounded interesting so I got an extra box of stuffing mix to set aside since it's on sale right now. I want to try this one.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:13 pm

I'd think the egg to stuffing ratio would need to be high...you need the egg to keep the stuffing from disintegrating into the soup, if it does you will have a murky mess on your hands.
I made a dumpling recipe that had baking powder in it...i found it on the net and they swelled and disintegrated......we didn't have soup for dinner we had gruel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Yuk Chris. I usually put dumplings in my bean soup. DH's DM made it that way..and that's what he likes. I just use Bisquick mixed with enough milk to make a sort of stiff dough. I have found that it's best to turn the soup down to just a simmer so the dumplings don't fly apart..which is what it sounds like yours did. What a waste huh?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turkey   Today at 7:04 am

Back to top Go down

Turkey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next