The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Ettiquette for Swaps !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 am

I know there are some who have never been in Swaps and aren't sure what they should do..... now that I have hosted a couple I just wanted to point out a few things that are helpful.

First off Swaps are really fun and you should never shy away from one because you are worried how your project will look compared to someone elses.... every block I have ever recieved has always been wonderful in the quilts that I have made and I think I have done up seven of them (I'm a beginner at swaps .. LOL)

I think the most important rule of swaps is to get your project done and mailed off before the due date so the host has it on time...

I have found that the Post Office envelopes are the best to mail them in...I think they are water proof... and I am very guilty about sending a manila envelope as my return envelope, but I think we take a chance with them... they aren't the most reliable at staying closed or getting ripped.

Make sure you send that returned envelope with your name and postage on it.. sometimes we are so excited we forget those things...

Enclosing your blocks in a plastic bag is a really good idea... so if your envelope is ripped open your blocks will be protected.. and including your name and address inside the plastic bag with your blocks is another good idea....

Include your online name along with your real name... a hostess may only know you by your online name.... and sending a little thank you is an individuals choice, but a FQ is always a nice little gift to the hostess for her time...

Hosting a swap is easy and fun, but it is also the responciblity of a host to keep the swap moving smoothly, answer question the best she can and to return the swapped blocks as quickly as possible.....

If anyone has more to add to this please do we want to keep the Swaps fun and easy for everyone...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Cottonpicker

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Mon May 04, 2009 9:58 am

Golo, I just discovered that there are free envelopes at the desk that are great. They are very strong and feel like plastic. I think they are waterproof and the best part is the free part. These may be what you were talking about. I have always bought envelopes before in the p.o. but one of the ladies told me about these.

The postage on these was cheaper too. And 3 day delivery. Also extremely light weight.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Mon May 04, 2009 10:07 am

Well, I have something to add, and Golo feel free to POOF the post if it's not what you want here...

Measure Often

When I was teaching, I'd always remind students that "One person's 10 inches is not another person's 10 inches." This can come as a result of which side of the line you use on your rotary ruler, or a thread or two difference between " foots... That all makes sense and is understandable. Depending on the type of block/quilt being swapped, your 10" block can end up an eighth of an inch larger or smaller than you intended.

I think that we can all work with that much of a difference.

BUT

If your block is , or even " larger or smaller than the goal size, we have to do some fancy stitching to work your block into our project. Sometimes we can't do it - and your block ends up being stacked on the shelf for "some day".

Pay attention as you're going along. If you don't already know if you "cut fat" or "sew skinny", find out. If you know that your " seam is "fat", fix it (you can do an internet search "measure quarter inch seam" or read the page here) - or figure out how to take that into account when you're putting a project together.

We're not going to look at your block with a magnifying glass and we're not going to judge you if your points aren't Mary Poppins perfect. We will be sad if we end up fighting with your block or not being able to use it when we put together our quilt full of fond memories of our friends.
Hug

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Mon May 04, 2009 10:54 am

All good information to know, I've never done a swap but perhaps in the future.....

There was a site that I never joined but lurked at some, they did their swaps in a rather military fashion and had a naughty list even :affraid: where people were banned....but they did do one thing very well I thought, they had a sticky little mini excel sheet with columns...project name......mailing date...due date...online name and when it arrived at the swap hostesses she would check off.....this group did a crazy number of real involved round robins and it looked very organized. I think it was a good reminder to people that they needed to get crackin'
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9710

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 am

I think one's thinking must be a bit more open when involved in a swap. If you are an absolute perfectionist who can't abide the tiniest thing to be out of kilter--a swap is probably not for you. I think most people truly try their best, but some of our's best may not be absolute perfection. This must be taken into account.

By the same token, know your limitations. If the swap is for New York Beauty blocks and you have never done one, now is not the time to learn. Pass on that swap.

Thanks Golo. This is a really good thread. Not everyone has participated in a swap and knowing what is expected helps make it not so scary.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Mon May 04, 2009 1:54 pm

These are all REALLY good points about the swaps. Swaps are fun, but you have to be willing to "take what you get". I know that when I see someone else's sewing, sometimes it will inspire me to be better with my own. I always try to do the best I can as I am sure you all do, but don't be afraid to join because you think yours might not be "good enough". We all learn something with every project we do...sometimes I learn by looking at what others have done.
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3937

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Mon May 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Great point, all of you! Thanks
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Tue May 05, 2009 5:12 am

Great topic idea and great points everyone has added. Swaps are scary but so much fun, I hope more members will start and host swaps on here. On past boards I have been on there were lots of swaps and it was so much fun, I hope they become more common here.

Only point I have to add is to never use childrens markers to colour in a block, i recieved one once and when I lightly misted the block to press it the inks bled everywhere and the block was sadly ruined. If you ink details on your blocks, like your name, use pigment pens that are waterproof :-)

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:47 pm

thought I would bring this forward again to read because of all the swaps going on.... Don't forget to thank your hostess ....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Does anyone have any other thoughts of helpful points with regards to swaps? Bringing this topic back up due to sorting out secret santa for xmas this year

Number of posts : 9479

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:39 am

Excellent points from EVERYONE. I totally agree swaps are so much fun if you just relax and let them be.
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 am

Only thing I can think to stress is that if you don't have the time to put some thought into a gift, don't join. We have our likes and dislikes thread, it is not hard to learn about someone preferences and send an appropriate gift." Do unto others" is a good way to work a swap.

http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
betweens

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2013-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Honestly I am one of the culprits that is late but did communicate to my swappee what the case was, I am so sorry to be late and know that it is unfair. My head is hanging in shame and I know that Sewn will forgive me...but since I am so tardy and I do keep trying I don't think I will sign up for anymore it is just unfair. I never know what is going on in my life it it seems to be always a drama better just to watch and clap and praise on the sidelines...
You all are good and wonderful friends and I would hate disappoint anyone...I want to stay on the good side of the fence...Hug
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:22 am

Deb you contacted your recpient and Im assuming Alicia too so everyone knew what was going on, sometimes life can throw a curve ball and get in the way, stuff happens and making contact is what matters, you did the right thing, dont be afraid to try again, Im sure next time you will have things sailing smoothly!

Number of posts : 3406

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:37 am

My life can turn unpredictable in an instant so I've not always been on time. And shamefully, I forgot about a Secret Santa gift altogether. EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed(It was done in July and by Christmas I had moved.)

So I'll stay on the sidelines and cheer. But having hosted a couple of things, I have a suggestion that mirrors FB's.

Make sure your block is the right size. I got one that was 10 1/2 that was supposed to be 12 inches. Fortunately I used her fabric and had some that was close so was able to repiece the block and include it.

I really appreciate the 'Likes and Dislikes' thread. My tastes can be rather wild so its good to know someone hates orange and purple. Or prefers bright to Civil War somber.
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:01 pm

See these events are not what we worry about. Betweens notified everyone and Redmadder moved. Who can think SS when worrying with moving. I think you both should join back in. I would be happy to have either of you as a swappee in spite of both of you being "bad" girls. winking

Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 pm

The issue for the Secret Santa exchange is NOT what the gift is or the quality or how much was spent. Not one single bit. It is about etiquette.

1. Gifts should be acknowledged. When you receive the gift, log on and let everyone know it was received.

2. If your gift is going to be late, let the moderator know. Who cares if it's late. No big deal. In fact the joke in our family is that there is always one person who doesn't receive their gift from me until the end of January. I give them something small to hold them over until I'm done making their real gift.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 pm

Its also about giving a thoughtful gift too, that seems to be a common theme on other forums where they specifially ask that a gift is tailored to the recipient, thats where I got the idea for a swappers likes and dislikes section, to help gifters find something suitable for their recipient Very Happy

Number of posts : 3497

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Betweens did contact me and she was in contact with Sewn Hug

Redmadder, I totally understand how things go sideways when your moving.

I agree with everyone, communication is most important.

Please don't reconsider siging up for swaps Betweens and Redmadder.

Living in the beautiful Sierra Nevada of Northern California

http://community.webshots.com/user/abertquiltmom9
Back to top Go down
betweens

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2013-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:20 pm

thanks alll...

I would also like to add a little to this, it is great when you receive your gift but sometimes there is just too much. I am amazed when I am in swaps sometimes that I get so much and yet I will send the required and only 2 other little gifties. This can be a little overwhelming to the receiver getting so much bootie and also to those that are participating and see what you may have rec'd. There is such a thing as going overboard.

I didn't think I would ever say that I get to many gifts...LOL..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ettiquette for Swaps !   Today at 11:04 pm

Back to top Go down

Ettiquette for Swaps !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1