The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Quilters Last Resort BOM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3327
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:18 am

Gimpy that's nice I like it!
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3921
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:38 pm

O, I really like it!!!!
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 pm

I am so enjoying these blocks, Gimpy... Thanks for taking the time to design them just for us... I sure hope a lot of gals are copying them to do later.... I am excited to get some Aussie fabric to do the sashing and borders... I am thinking black background with oranges and browns....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19917

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:22 pm

That sounds like a great choice of fabric Golo, I saw some recently in those kind of colours and thought of you and your quilt, it was aboriginal print fabric, very pretty adn simple. Im glad you enjoyed them, I enjoyed designing them for you all, took a lot of work and I have never done anything like it before with realistic sketches but it was good for me to stretch myself creativley :D

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:36 am

GC I am enjoying your blocks, too. I can't wait for the new year to get started! I want to be caught up and the holidays over so I don't have to rush and can enjoy doing them. Thanks Again!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Sure would like to see some pictures if any one is doing these.... I am all caught up and have the next one done for Gimpy to post........... enjoying !!!

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Here is Golos beautiful block for Oct, I really love the artistic quality in the black and white blocks, really creative Golo!

pencil version

oct.pdf

Being fall and halloween in america I decided to pay tribute to your seasons and create a block featuring our own tasmanian devils - what better month to have them cavorting around than October? I hope you enjoy the Devils In The Pumpkin Patch. Laura helped me embroider this one on our hiking trip up to the scout hut in the snow

Devils are teh coolest animals, we get them in our garden and the babies are soooooooooo cute. They are smallish animals, size of a small dog I guess. They are very noisy and ferocious at feeding time quite lazy the rest of the time. They scamper around looking very mischievious. Sadly they are now listed on the endangered species list, their numbers are being decimated by a facial tumour disease that is being spread throughout the population. Its a cancer that is transmitted through biting, never has a cancer been seen that can be 'caught' like this. Research has discovered that most of the devils share a genetic code so close that the cancer simply skips from devil to devil. its a horrible way to die, they starve eventually. So far the western side of the state has remained free of the disease, fingers crossed it continues to. Research continues into trying to find a way to save them. We really love the devils, its heart breaking to see such a unique creature face the threat of extinction like this. We are so very lucky to have had them visit our place and we see them often when out at night. laura adores the Devils as much as we do.

How could you not fall in love with a Devil when it looks as cute as this?

They have a white strip across their chests and a smaller white marking at the base of their tails

sibling love

glossy inquisitive adult

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Very nice! Thanks Gimpy and Golo!!
I can't wait till the new year to get started!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:52 pm

thanks for all the info on these little guys... that was interesting and I do hope they find a way to stop the spread of the cancer these little guys are getting..

Golo

Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12598

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:48 am

Those are so cute Gimpy, wish they could spread food out for them with something in it to stop the spread of that!! cry2 Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12598

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 am

BTW, what kind of pencils do you use to do these??? After your done, how do you set the color??? Smitten Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:09 am

Wow, they are adorable! This month's block is wonderful, great job both of you! Thanks for all the info on the little devils!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Krafty I use watercolour pencils, you can buy them in kmart and walmart. Simply colour in the picture as you would wiht any pencil and then I 'paint' over it. I use 1 part Jo Sonjas Fabric Medium (its the stuff that people mix with paints to paint tshirts, fabrics etc) to 3 parts water. I mix keep it mixed in a little jar, simply dip your paint brush in it and 'paint' over hte pencil, the pigment turns to that painted look, just dont use your brush too wet or it can bleed. When mostly dry I simply iron it to finish setting it. I use this on quilts taht wont need to be washed much, to make it totally wash proof you would need to use hte fabric medium straight and then it goes stiff when it dries which I dont like.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Novs block, just before thanksgiving, Im running late again this month but seeing as people are doing these next year its relieved the pressure on me - thanks!

Ok so this month I have platypus featured. Tasmania is crawling wtih platypus, literally, sometimes at night we see them scampering across the road when we are driving home, moving from one dam or creek spot to another. We see them all the time swimming in farm dams and rivers, seems every dam has at least one resident platypus. laura wants to dig a dam on our place so one will move in, we would love to, perhaps one day!

According to a recent study, the egg-laying critter is a genetic potpourri -- part bird, part reptile and part lactating mammal. Lacking teats, the female nurses pups through the skin covering its abdomen. But there are reptile-like attributes too: females lay eggs, and males can stab aggressors with a snake-like venom that flows from a spur tucked under its hind feet. It can kill a small animal or dog but isnt fatal to larger animals or humans.

Platypus also possess a feature unique to monotremes -- an order including a handful of egg-laying mammals -- called electroreception. With their eyes, ears and nostrils closed, platypuses rely on sensitive electrosensory receptors tucked inside their bills to track prey underwater, detecting electrical fields generated byIn the wild, they feed on worms, insect larvae, shrimps and crayfish, eating up to 20 percent of their body weight every day.

Males grow to a length of 50 centimetres (20 inches) and weigh about two kilos (4.5 pounds), with females about 20 percent shorter and lighter.

Here is Golos block for this month, isnt it beautiful? Love the soft pink platypus!

This is the pencil version

In the block you will see a small fresh water crayfish/lobster/crawfish. Platypus just love eating them yum and get them when they are young. This freshwater crayfish is unique to North West Tasmania and lives from around us across to the west coast.

They are the worlds largest fresh water invertebrate and can grow up to 3 1/2ft in length and weigh in at 5kg (16lbs) The omnivorous crayfish (or lobster) is found in the dark, cool, languid rivers and streams of the north and north-west of Tasmania, where it feeds on rotting wood and animal flesh, as well as leaves and insects that fall into the water. They are becoming rarer and its now illegal to catch them and they carry a $10,000 fine

no we dont know this guy, just a file pic from google!!

We just love the cheerful busy platypus, they even appear on our 20cent coin

and a nearby town (with two quilt supply stores) calls itself Platypus centre of the world, hmmm not sure why though

one more pic, they are just so darned cute!!

Anyway, hope you like the block and here is the link to the pattern file.

nov.pdf

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:59 pm

The are cute creatures....but also just so odd........I look at them and think.......God was just learning : ) Are they very clumsy on land? Those bills look so very heavy. Do they have teeth or crushing ridges?

Your embroidery is very cute!

We have crawfish native to Michigan too. Grew up calling them crawdads...dont' know why it must be a Michigan thing.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:09 pm

that was really interesting reading about the platypus and seeing the pictures....

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:45 pm

CC I heard them called crawdads when I was in georgia and the carolinas too. They are very fast on land, they scamper pretty fast across the road and whilst real low to the ground they are pretty agile. The dont have teeth, its literally like a ducks bill and they arent very heavy, I have held a bill before in a museum. when the platypus are swimming around their fur emits streams of bubbles and they look like aquatic fairies, its really cool

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:41 am

Merry Christmas! Here is the December BOM featuring Santa being pulled across the Australian night sky by 6 White Boomers. Boomers is the word used for male kangaroos. As a child growing up we always heard the song and story about how the reindeer didnít like the terrible heat here in Australia so each xmas Santa would rest them here and 6 magic white Kangaroos would take him on his Aussie route. I just had to embroider the aussie version on this months block.

The link below has the lyrics and on the right side of the page you can play and listen to the song sung by Rolf Harris, a famous folk singer here when I was a child. I saw him when I was in primary school, kids were nuts for him.

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/r/rolfharris8383/6whiteboomers289126.html

What I didnít know though was that apparently Santaís first stop in Australia is here in Tasmania, about 45mins from us it seems! News article link with photos below

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2009/s2779693.htm

Here is Golo's block, I just love her santa with his red jacket, well done Golo!

This is the pencilled version

Link to the pattern file

dec.pdf

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:43 am

How very cute! I just love your kanga's pulling santa!!
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:07 am

Really like this one it sure is cute! Thanks! Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Very, very cute!!! Thank you so much Helen!!!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Ok so I just realised I neglected to post the January block Embarassed I think I have had too much going on in my teeny brain, sorry.

So here is the info on the why and wherefore of this block

January Ė Here in Australia, January is mid summer. Itís a time for the bees to be making honey and the local apiarists spend a lot of time relocating their hives out into various areas to collect the different varieties. Around our area they are collecting Ďmeadow honeyí formed from the rich variety of wildflowers and introduced species that grow on the high plains. Blackberry and blossoms, mmmmm, meadow honey is delicious. In the wilderness areas hives are located to collect the famed Tasmanian Leatherwood Honey, it has a strong distinct flavour and is popular to eat drizzled over blue cheese (not that I can recommend it, no way Iím eating blue cheese and I donít really like honey either) On the wild west coast they use an old train line to shunt the hives out into the wilderness. Last summer on a trip that took us out into a wilderness area nearby we came across a row of hives, they looked like 2Ē squares sewed into strips, they were all colours, blue, purple, green Ė they look fairy like sitting out there on the forest edge

Recently whilst exploring the Gordon - Franklin River Wilderness area we passed two big apiarist trucks that had been out unloading hives, we saw around 200 hives nestled into the bush, plain white ones though, not funky like the ones above.
The leatherwood trees are in full bloom, they are pretty apple blossom like blooms, the honey produced from them smells exactly the same as the flowers. I found a picture of the flower for you, see below

Leatherwood Blossom, Tasmanian Native Rainforest Tree

This is a local honey shop. Family business in nearby village of Chudleigh

Isnít this honey tin beautiful, folk arty and quilty looking, I buy these ones!

The 26th of January is Australia Day the official national day of Australia, itís a public holiday, last of the summer long weekends. The day commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet, a fleet of 11 ships sent in 1788, and the start of colonial colonization. Local councils and the govt hold big picnics, itís a day for sports, BBQís and celebrating, all kinds of silly races, like ferret races, wheelbarrow races. Many go to the beach etc; itís celebrated similar to Americaís 4th July. Below is the Aussie flag and beneath it is the Tasmanian state flag

So to celebrate January in my neck of the woods, Tasmania, Australia, my design features the honey bees and an old fashioned hive with the Aussie flag flying. Enjoy
Helen

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Here is Golo's beautiful version

and the pencilled version

link to the pattern sheet

jan.pdf

Last edited by Gimpy Cat on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Soooooooooooo cute!!! You're creative spirit is wonderful. And thanks so much for the history lesson that goes with it! clap
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Feb is the month of romance the world over Smitten , here in Tasmania its no different. Itís still summer, usually proving to be the hottest month of the season. The new school year starts and life takes on a new routine. Many of the native birds are now proudly parading their babies, our garden is currently filled with wee fuzzy little native hen chicks, a found a pic of them arenít they cute? They are a flightless bird, about the size of a chicken when full grown

In Tassie (and on the mainland too) the Australian Black Swans are out and about proudly showing off their summer cygnets.

Our swans are about the same size as the white European ones, they have white wing tips that only show in flight and red bills.

They infest the local farm dams, creeks and waterways, we see them down on the coast in bays and inlets, seeing them riding small waves in esturies is funny. A couple of weeks ago I was hanging out the washing and could hear a sound, just like the noise geese make when murmuring contentedly to each other, I looked up and there flying low directly overhead were 5 black swans, chattering quietly amongst themselves. With their long necks and wing spans of around 8ft, wow, was it a sight to see! It made my day.

So for the month of Valentineís, here is my design, I even found a photo online to go with it

Golos gorgeous block, I love the flash of colour on the bills

and the pencil version

Feb pattern sheet

feb.pdf

Enjoy and Happy Valentines Day lovehearts

PostSubject: Re: Quilters Last Resort BOM   Today at 8:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Quilters Last Resort BOM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next